new to this

Started by rayw, June 06, 2012, 08:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayw

hi everyone im totally new to smoking if im smoking just for taste for instance pidgeon or trout do i have to brine first cold smoking that is any tips will be great

Kahunas

Welcome to the world of smoking.
I can honestly say I have never brined a pidgeon. It is all up to what you want for taste. Brining changes the flavor, moisture content, and texture of the food. So, no you don't have to brine. If you are cold smoking just give it the smoke level you like and go with it. Some people like to smoke things for 4 hours plus, others just an hour is enough. It all depends on YOUR taste.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard.
You don't have to brine. You can just use a rub that you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

Pigeon?  I'm not a pigeon hunter or raiser but it seems that it would be poultry-like but maybe skinnier.  If so, it seems it would be a perfect candidate for brining and smoking (cold-smoked immediately before grilling or rubbed, wrapped in bacon and hot smoked, ).  If not, forget I said anything.

rayw

thanks think ill skip the brine and dive in and smoke them

devo

Hmmm Cold smoking you say? What would the temp be for cold smoking? Just remember the "Danger Zone" is universally accepted as 40°F. to 140°F. That is why we use brine. Many don't, I never did till I read more and read more and read more. Not safe not to use brine. Here is all good info, use it if you wish. I know I didn't believe this stuff till I read a few good books. Big eye opener.

Most pathogenic bacteria, including Salmonella, Escherichia coli 0157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes, and Campylobacter, can be fairly easily destroyed using a mild cooking process. Sure, maintaining a minimum temperature within the range of 130-165º F (54 -74º C) for a specific amount of time will kill them. However, cooking will not destroy these toxins once they have formed in food. Meaning what has formed during your cold smoking time. Moreover, in the case of clostridium botulinum, although the microorganism itself may rapidly destroyed by heat, as in thorough cooking, it should be remembered that the spores which produce the toxin are heat-tolerant and will survive even boiling at 212º F (100º C) for an extended period of time.

sjmcdowall

I agree with Devo 100%.  Cold smoking needs either brining or pink salt to make it safe IMHO.  Not sure just putting a rub on it will be sufficient.  Granted after cold smoking I presume you'd grill it or something to an IT of 160+ which would (theoretically) kill all nasties .. but.. I guess I wouldn't chance it.  Besides, I think brining really adds nice extra flavor, especially if you add aromatics like garlic, rosemary, thyme, crushed peppercorns, etc. to the brine.

Let us know how it turns out!!