Did I ruin the cheese?

Started by Max, May 12, 2012, 07:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

I smoked 1 lb chunks of cheddar, Gouda, and pepper jack for 2 hrs. The cabin temp was around 90 degrees. The cheese started to sag a bit thru the grates and had a pretty good amount of sweat at the end. Not melted but soft to the touch. Where do you draw the line between keep vs toss?

muebe

It will be fine. Let it get cold in the fridge and air dry for a few hour. Then wipe down and vac seal it. Wait a month before eating.

It will look strange but still be edible ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

What he said. 1 Month minimum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

Like the others said, it will be fine. pat dry and cool to firm back up.

SiFumar

Like the others said give it time.  No cheese is ruined, can always grate into something!

Max

Thanks. Most of it would get grated anyway, so I'm glad it is not a waste.

watchdog56

Next time you could throw a bowl of ice in there to help with the temp.

Kahunas

The only time you are really in trouble is when you cut the cheese and it smokes...........BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MrSlick

Quote from: SiFumar on May 12, 2012, 03:39:47 PM
Like the others said give it time.  No cheese is ruined, can always grate into something!

+1 on the grating.  My first batch of cheese melted quite a bit.  After a month the worst looking melted stuff was grated and used on pizza.  Best pizza ever!

Habanero Smoker

Grating does work well. Besides the tip MrSlick posted; when I make grill cheese sandwiches from smoked cheese I grate the cheese instead of slicing it.

MrSlick;

Welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Yeah we did that ona batch of cheddar. It was ugly but it tasted just fine.  We liked to slice it up, arrange it in one layer on a dinner plate then mircowave it untill it starts to bubble then eat in on Ritz  crackers. Yum! ;)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100