Question About Cold Smoking Cooked Meat

Started by JZ, June 09, 2012, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I have smoked some meats and felt that they still needed more smoke flavor after they were cooked. So is it safe to take meat, say some chicken, and cold smoke it for like 20 - 40 minutes after it has already been cooked? Or should it be hot smoked, which would likely dry it out? ???

Quarlow

John I am no expert but I would be reluctant to smoke precooked food. It takes very little to start the growth of bacteria which has likely already started to grow as it is. Bacteria is present in everything we eat it is just a matter of how much it has reproduced. Small amounts won't hurt us but when given the chance to reproduce it can be deadly. I would much rather start fresh and get a good base of smoke to it. I would smoke one for an amount of time and see if you like it. If it is not enough then give it more smoke the next time. Better saef than sitting on the comode with a bucket to your face or worse.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JZ

Thanks Colin.

Not going to take the chance. Don't want my wife or I to get sick or worse.

sjmcdowall

Also -- it's a pretty well known fact most foods don't take up the smoke flavor once past 140 IT, so it's probably too late anyway. 

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.