Digital versus PID

Started by sdkidaho, June 12, 2012, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdkidaho

This is the exact same question (I thought) from this thread: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=28150.0  I'm not sure that it was really answered for what I'm considering and so I've started a new thread, hopefully that isn't annoying.

What I'm wondering is if those of you that have existing units WITH a PID were going to buy again, brand new, which would you buy and why:

1.)  The Original with a PID

2.)  The Digital model

I'm just trying to determine which people think is better, or if they are essentially the same once you go to the digital model?  If they are the same, then it is a bit cheaper to just go to the digital model versus buying the Original and a PID, but if they are not the same then I'm hoping to find out which setup is better.  I don't mind spending more for one versus the other if it's a better setup.

I've never owned a smoker.  I've never used a smoker.  Looking to change that and buy what works best.

Thanks for your time.

Darby

KyNola

Welcome to the forum!  You are going to get a wide variety of answers on this particular topic.  I have the digital 4 rack and it has served me well "as is".  I also have a PID that I have never hooked up to it.  I think the answer to your question lies within what you plan on smoking in your Bradley.  If you are going to do butts, ribs, chickens, briskets, etc then my opinion is that the Bradley Digital will serve you well.  Others are under the opinion that you still need a PID no matter what.  If you intend to also make jerky and/or sausages then you do need the PID for tighter temp control.

Others more learned than me will come along and chime in soon.  Meanwhile, welcome and ask all of the questions you want.  That's why we're here.

Kahunas

Quote from: KyNola on June 12, 2012, 10:35:12 AM
Welcome to the forum!  You are going to get a wide variety of answers on this particular topic.  I have the digital 4 rack and it has served me well "as is".  I also have a PID that I have never hooked up to it.  I think the answer to your question lies within what you plan on smoking in your Bradley.  If you are going to do butts, ribs, chickens, briskets, etc then my opinion is that the Bradley Digital will serve you well.  Others are under the opinion that you still need a PID no matter what.  If you intend to also make jerky and/or sausages then you do need the PID for tighter temp control.

Others more learned than me will come along and chime in soon.  Meanwhile, welcome and ask all of the questions you want.  That's why we're here.
Yea,
What he said. It's all good no matter which way you go. I have an OBS with a PID, fan mod, and 900w element in it and love it. But I bought my smoker used for $50 and modified it to work the way I wanted it to.
Anyway, welcome to the world of smoking and the forum. Your gonna love it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

NePaSmoKer

The digital smoke generator is not a PID

PID: Proportional–Integral–Derivative.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

sdkidaho

Thank you - I appreciate the response.  I hadn't thought about a PID with a Digital smoker, I thought that's what the digital did, was replace the need for the PID.  I didn't realize that the digital model WASN'T the PID - thanks for the clarification!  Now knowing that, what is the benefit of the digital smoke generator?  Greater control over the pucks?

As for what I plan to smoke?  Meat.   :D  In all its glorious forms, whether fish, fowl or hooved creature.  As mentioned, I've never smoked anything, so I figure I'll be trying it all, and maybe making some jerky in it also.  I know my wife will appreciate that not being done in her stove.

I've got a local store that has the New Original on sale for $299, or I can get the regular Original for $279 (no shipping costs but I'll have to pay local state sales tax of 6% on top of that).  Unless some of you have a better line on a cheaper purchase price from a trusted internet shop?

Tenpoint5

Darby it is 6 of one half a dozen of another. You can get the New original and it will serve you just fine. You have to remember that it is only 5 100 watt light bulbs heating either or any of the units your going to purchase.  If you keep that in mind and Money is an issue which it is for everyone these days. Keep it simple. get the New original and just like mounting a new scope on a gun. Take it home and CHOOT IT!! Use that thing and use it some more. Learn how it works and where things need to be to get what temps. That's the fun with these things we get to use them and eat what we cook in them. When you bring it home come back and look around get some idears and info on what you want to cook and ask some questions. Your gonna get a bunch of different opinions. sort through and make your own game plan and CHOOT IT!! Keep notes of where things are set and what you did so the next time you don't do it again if your off a little bit, or so you can repeat it
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Like it was mentioned a digital control is similar to your home oven, It turns the heat on and off so you will get  fluxuation of about 20 degrees. A PID is an actual temperature controller and mine gets me +-1 degree. So it depends on what you are making, in most cases the digital works just fine and the original works well too but you need to adjust the temp slider to try to get the temp set right. Mine is a digital but since I work on industrial furnaces I opted to build a PID to get real tight temperature control, I figure if I can get a furnace running 2000+ degrees to control withen a couple degrees than my smoker needs to do it as well.  :)

sdkidaho

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 12, 2012, 10:57:40 AM
Keep notes of where things are set and what you did so the next time you don't do it again if your off a little bit, or so you can repeat it

That's good advice and easy to do, but something I hadn't thought up.  Thanks guys - I appreciate the warm welcome and the help.

sdkidaho

Ok, the New Original is on its way, with a 48 pack of Alder and a 48 pack of Hickory.  Total of $356.13 - hopefully I didn't do too bad on price...

mikecorn.1

Sorry, work got in the way. Didnt see this till now. ;D
Ditto on Everyone's response.   I used mine stock, no mods for almost 3 years. I dont think a PID is needed unless you are adding a second element or going with a 900w.
Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

Well you have received alot of really great information, so welcome to what you are finding out is a really great forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

sdkidaho

Thanks again for all the quick responses.

It looks like I need to make some blank pucks so I'm not wasting the real ones... lots of great information on this forum!

sdkidaho

Quote from: sdkidaho on June 12, 2012, 02:52:25 PM
Ok, the New Original is on its way, with a 48 pack of Alder and a 48 pack of Hickory.  Total of $356.13 - hopefully I didn't do too bad on price...

And now the Maverick ET732, with two more 48 packs, one of Mesquite and one of Apple.  Thanks Yard and Pool.  :)