Addicted To This Rub

Started by slowpoke, June 12, 2012, 03:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke

Jude got me a 9lb turkey last Mon. We thawed it out till Wed.

I made up some 15 spice rub.

Coated the bird inside and mostly under the skin and outside.

While waiting for the temp to come up and warming up the bird,we had a friend drop by for some sunflower seeds.8:30AM

Bradley up to temp.Bird's in with 3hrs. Jim Beam Bisquettes and 9hrs. to cook.
Out of the smoker and Jude's starting to skin and cut.

Let cut up bird rest overnight in the fridge,then fried some potatoes, onions and eggs.It's guna be hard to beat this one.LOL ;D

Thanks
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Tenpoint5

OK Slowpoke I would be interested in just what wild and exotic things you folks in Nova Scotia put in a rub that you call a 15 Spice Rub. Or is it a version of Jan's rub that you came up with? If it involves that little black and white friend of yours you can keep it though!! :o :o
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

That is a lot of turkey sitting in that Bradley.

I made a quarter batch of your 15 Spice Rub to try on some chicken thighs, and it was good. Eventually I will get around to posting it on the Recipe Site. I forgot to ask one question; what type of Savory did you use. There is Summer Savory, then I found a lot of herb blends calling themselves Savory.

If it is Summer Savory, I used Summer Savory (crushed leaves), but there is also a ground version.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

slowpoke

HI,Hab.Summer Savory,crushed.I use it ONLY on Poultry.I"m Glad you enjoyed it.

slowpoke

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 12, 2012, 09:08:28 PM
OK Slowpoke I would be interested in just what wild and exotic things you folks in Nova Scotia put in a rub that you call a 15 Spice Rub. Or is it a version of Jan's rub that you came up with? If it involves that little black and white friend of yours you can keep it though!! :o :o
Over the years,I gathered different spices,to my taste,and came up with this Rub.It gives me flavor and heat if I want it.I put it on everything I smoke,(almost)lol.Please check out Sauces and Rubs for the recipe.
PS It's just a differant Rub,I like.I'm not trying to change the world.

Tenpoint5

Thanks Slowpoke I'll go look for it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Nice looking bird!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Up In Smoke

QuoteIf it involves that little black and white friend of yours you can keep it though!!

That there is a genuine Racing Kitty!!!!
I wouldn't recommend you fall behind  :o

turkey looks great, on my way to find that rub recipe, Thanks!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smoker John

Turkey looks very good, what temp did you smoke it at?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

slowpoke

Quote from: Smoker John on June 13, 2012, 02:43:11 PM
Turkey looks very good, what temp did you smoke it at?
I started at 220F and made my way up to 280F.At 195F I.T. I took it out.It's got it all.Tender,juicy and the flavor was awsome.

Dirty Ernie

Just got my beer can turkey holder in the mail yesterday...Can't wait to try it...Question....How long did your 9lb'r take at 225?

slowpoke

Hi,Ernie I didn't keep the temp.at 225F.I raised the temp.to 240F after 2hrs.then 260F after2hrs.and then 280F till I.T. was 195F.The bird was done in about 9hrs.Just an FYI.I am not aloud skin,so Judi throws it out.I don't know how crispy it is.Good luck,Let us know how your bird turns out.(with pic's) ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: slowpoke on June 28, 2012, 06:23:36 PM
Hi,Ernie I didn't keep the temp.at 225F.I raised the temp.to 240F after 2hrs.then 260F after2hrs.and then 280F till I.T. was 195F.The bird was done in about 9hrs.Just an FYI.I am not aloud skin,so Judi throws it out.I don't know how crispy it is.Good luck,Let us know how your bird turns out.(with pic's) ;D
Hey Slowpoke...
Just kinda curious...
(I never cooked a bird 9hrs to 195F)
Was it juicy?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

slowpoke