Do you have to use the Bisquettes?

Started by sdkidaho, June 13, 2012, 10:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdkidaho

Just wondering if you can actually cut your own little wood pucks (as long as they are the correct size) out of whatever kind of wood you want, and use those instead of the Bradley Bisquettes?

Is it bad to use a solid piece of wood as your puck for smoking?

The reason I ask is I have family that build cabinets, and I know there are waste pieces of wood that could be cut into the correct puck size.  Just wondering if that is a bad idea or not...?

mikecorn.1

Yes! ;D ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Alanfromwis

I have expiremented with apple wood from a tree that blew down in my back yard. Thought it would be fun to use home grown wood. I cut a piece about 3 feet long to a diameter of 2 3/16 on table saw with blade at 90 degrees, then at 45 degrees 4 more equal sides, then at 22 degrees 8 more equal sides. Stock comes out very nearly round. Then using electric miter saw set at 1/2 inch, cut off pucks that are very uniform in size & will feed nicely in smoke generator. However make sure miter blade comes to stop before returning blade past puck.
  Found better results drilling 5 holes, 7/16 diameter about half way through puck to minimize  curl on burner as compared to solid puck.  Have some pictures that I can send you if you are interested.
  Thanks, alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

sdkidaho

Pictures would be great!  If you know how to post them here, that would be awesome, otherwise it is sdkidaho @ gmail.com <--- no spaces

sdkidaho

And here are the pictures from Alan:

Tenpoint5

As most of us will atest you are much better off using the pucks. The smoker is designed around the puck. The pucks have been designed to burn for a certain amount of time. So as not to produce creosote or any harsh bitter flavors. Altering the smoke times or woods burned on the hot plate could result in unpleasant flavors being imparted on your meat.

When this happens the first thing folks do is complain that the Bradley doesn't work right. Because they have used wood forever and they never got a bad taste before. The Bradley isn't designed to work with solid wood blocks. Therefore it isn't going to work right. So your better off to just stick with the pucks. A lot less hassle
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Alanfromwis

These wood pucks do work ok based on using about 2 dozen, but take quite a lot of time to make. By the way, I used a drill press for drilling. I liked using my own wood, but would not use this procedure often.
alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

TedEbear

There are several threads in another section about some people using an A-maze-n smoke generator in their Bradley instead of the bisquettes.  Seems like an inexpensive alternative and the people who use them say they work pretty well.

I've also read a few threads on making those homemade pucks out of sawdust although it seems like a lot of work.