Lobster

Started by iceman, April 13, 2006, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Not to get off the smoking subject but Sams Club has spiny lobster tails on sale so I picked up four of them. They are just under a pound each. I need to get some easy grill recipes for them. I just want to toss them on the BBQ along with a few rib eyes and keep it simple. Anybody grill lobsters lately?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Ice split the tails in half  top to bottom, now you have to half tails, , brush butter and garlic on meat, shell part down  on grill, high heat about 7 mins untill opac color, no need to turn tails over,

nsxbill

My Recipe about the same:

Grilled Lemon Lobster

4      ea               frozen lobster tails - (4 to 6 oz ea) -- thawed
1/2   cup              butter -- melted
2      tablespoons   lemon juice
1      tablespoon    chopped fresh parsley
2      teaspoons     finely-grated lemon zest
1      teaspoon      white wine Worcestershire sauce
2      drops           hot pepper sauce
4-5   cloves          minced garlic (fresh)

Rinse lobster tails and pat dry.  Split lengthwise through back shell and lobster meat to separate in half.

Combine remaining ingredients; brush on lobster meat.

Place lobster tails shell-side down in center of cooking grate.  Grill 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is opaque.  Serve lobster with remaining butter sauce.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

Comments:  Just the right amount of seasoning to optimize the sweet, delicate flavor of tender lobster!

Two 1-pound live whole lobsters may be used in place of frozen tails.  To prepare live lobsters: Put lobster near the pot and tell them to dive in.  If they won't volunteer to dive-in on their own, pick up 1 lobster at a time, hold the body near the top, and plunge headfirst into 6 quarts of boiling water.  Return water to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Using tongs, lift lobster from pot and let cool briefly.  Repeat with other lobster.  Split lobsters lengthwise through back shell.  Remove and discard stomach sac, intestinal vein, green tomalley (liver) and any coral-colored roe from each lobster.  Rinse lobsters well and drain.

Do the Frozens ones about every two months.  Excellent!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Bout what temp yall grillin them tails at?
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

iceman

Big Smoker, I planned to grill them on mediun high heat 3500F. or so. I do the steaks at 500F to get the grill mark on it looking pretty then flip it over to the 300F. side of the grill to finish off to rare.

nsxbill, I'm going to have to try your butter recipe. It just sounds like it's made for the occassion.

Smokehouse, that's perfect. Once the steaks sear I'll toss the tails on and  and ring the dinner bell.

Thanks guys.

icerat4

Ive done a bunch of lobster and you guys know your stuff.I like the fact you can come here and get the real down load on whats is what.You guys are on the same page and thats a great thing.Thanks alot .I agree with the last few post.The yeas have it LOL. ;)

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 13, 2006, 04:51:35 PM
......Once the steaks sear I'll toss the tails on and  and ring the dinner bell......

What date/time? I'm planning a Costco run to ANC?!?!?  ;) :D ;D  Juuuuust kidding of course, I've gotta put new shoes on the Ford PS Dually this week and won't be able to afford the diesel for an ANC run for another 10 years! :o

IKnowWood

We do lobster all the time in the summer, either camping or at home. 

We get frozen at home (its cheaper) and some times when camping we can find fresh tails (but rare to find).

So we start with frozen, defrosted slowley in cold tap water.

Then I split the upper shell only, (not cutting all the way thru) from front to back to reveal the meat.  I tried using shears but its a little hard.  I use a big chef's 8" and tap till I get the hard shell cracked.

Then I heat some "I cannot beleive its not butter" to metled, then baste liberally all over the meat.  Sprinkle fresh crushed sea salt and fresh ground pepper (Penzy Special Pepper blend is my Fav).  Then heat grill up to 500deg, then place shell side down, reduce heat once placed to medium (turn middle burner off).  Sit for 1 minute, then flip, sit a minute, then flip.

Let sit 3 minutes on medium head (about 300 by then).  Then flip for last three.  But this time the meat is opaque and cooked enough.  With the butter, the flame had some time to 0 up and give the ends a slight char.  That's enough to add some added stuff.   By this time the shell has bent and opening up a lot.  And the meat is about popping out.  That's done.  Very juicy and extremly tender.

At for the steaks.  I use the same heat and put them on 3 minutes before the tails.  Follow the 1.5 minute, turn 1.5 minute, Add lobster (at this point the heat is down so I can let the steaks then cook 4 minutes each side or less. 

I use a Weber with stainless grates and it heats real fast and can release the heat pretty fast (better heat control).  With Cast Iron it heats slower and can hold it to long.

Have a good one, I like Bill's butter recipe, I might have to try that very soon.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

BigSmoker

Dang this just sounds to good :P :P :P :P.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Now don't laugh but this is what I do when I want to grill tails.

I complete remove the tails from the shells. Baste with nothing at first. Sounds simple uh? 

Here is the twist. I use a Green Egg. I chared down oak wood. I take strips of beef fat and start to cook them. Once the fat is being rendered and is cooking good I taste the smoke.  Between the flavoring of the oak itself and the beef fat the smoke will have this wonderful flavoring.  All of you who have cooked beef steak over oak know of this flavoring I'm talking about.

The next step can be a little tricky. If not careful you can "rubber-ize" the tails. Once the smoke is rolling real good I shut down the Green Egg. After a bit of the time the oak will dieing out and not be nearly as hot, but still creating much-o smoke. Now is the time I place my Lobster Tail in the Green Egg. I keep the Egg closed down.  In a sense I'm smokin' the tails.

After just a few minutes I will check the tails. I remove them as they are changing from translucent to opaque. Now I open up the Egg and allow the wood to fire back up to a good blaze. I then baste the tails with butter that has a little paprika in it and then  "Flash Grill".  I do not full cook them as tail will continue to cook once removed from the grill.  Serve with drawn "real" butter.  ;D

Simple, but so very effective is getting those taste buds a-going~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Dang Olds that sounds good. As luck would have it the only green egg I have is in the Easter Basket ::) Green eggs and ham. Hmmm sounds familiar. :D I grilled them last night with nsxbills lemon butter. Turned out wonderfull. If I go buy one more cooking devise I might be single again according to the boss lady. She just about had a cow when I brought the new cabnet home for another smoker. I almost had to bunk with Winston in his dog house. :o

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 15, 2006, 12:09:15 PM
......If I go buy one more cooking devise I might be single again according to the boss lady. She just about had a cow when I brought the new cabnet home for another smoker. I almost had to bunk with Winston in his dog house. :o

I know a place in Homer where you can hide your purchases, Ice!!  ;D ;)  Might get a little smoke on them during "storage" though.... ;)

iceman

I just might have to take you up on that one Kummok ;D