Meathead's Memphis Dust -- Metric

Started by sjmcdowall, June 14, 2012, 11:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

I made a batch of the famous (I think?) Memphis Dust rub from Meathead's web site:  http://amazingribs.com/

Meathead's Memphis Dust
---------------------------------
150g Brown Sugar
165g White Sugar
50g Sweet Paprika
40g Kosher Salt
30g Garlic Powder
15g Black Pepper (I used fresh ground Tellichery Black Peppers)
5g Ginger Powder (although I think it was closer to 10)
20g Onion Powder
5g Ground Rosemary

viper125

Kinda confused????? You write down a weight then say it is wrong. 5g but think closer to 10. Hard to confuse 5 for 10 on my scale. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

sjmcdowall

My current scale only does 5g increments -- so it read 5 but flashed 10g a few times but settled on 5. but I bet it's more like 8-9 or so .. but that's just a guess.  In old terms, it would be a HEAPING amount of whatever .. :)

I have ordered a NEW scale with a 1g precision, so henceforth I should be good to go!

mikeradio

When is the US switching to metric ;D

squirtthecat

Metric??

I thought y'all were talking GALLONs...

Phew.   ;)

viper125

Well im in the middle of changing it all to metric measurements by weight. It was suggested by Pikeman and I thing its a great Idea. It makes repeating recipes exactly very easy.  Very simple to do too!
Inside setup.

TedEbear

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 14, 2012, 11:53:13 AM
I made a batch of the famous (I think?) Memphis Dust rub from Meathead's web site

That's my personal favorite.  I have one jar of the regular for my wife and one of the spicy version for me.

sjmcdowall

I guess this could be posted on the SusanMinor recipe site -- with all due attribution of course..

I also agree, I tend to convert everything to weight/metric for ease of reproduction (and accuracy as much as possible) for other people. Something I learned when I was doing my classes at the National Baking Institute ..

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: mikeradio on June 14, 2012, 12:34:38 PM
When is the US switching to metric ;D

I don't think it's going to happen. There was a BIG push back in the '70s(1970's that is  :) and right around the same time Canada converted) to convert and it got too much resistance from just about every sector of the country.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

KyNola

I'm not quite sure I see the necessity of converting a BBQ Rub to metric for preciseness.  I can replicate a tablespoon of salt just as easily as I can 5 grams of salt.

Besides guys, we're not splitting the atom here.  Let's don't try to make this something it's not.

Having said that, to each his own.  If converting to metric measurement works for you, knock yourself out! :)

sjmcdowall

I tend to agree -- and have no decided anything 1 Tbsp or less is easier with .. err... volumetric measurements .. especially since my scale is only good to +/- 5 gm anyway. LOL :)

However, the urge to make it standard and metric probably comes from my double Physics and Computer Sci. degrees.  :)

viper125

Well in the 60's and 70's we talked of it. Since the usa was about the last to do it. But it didn't get passed over. As A diemaker I have used it for 40+ years. And it is simply more exact way of measuring. It's a;so a lot simpler then our measurements of spoons and cups. It allows a recipe to be duplicated exactly instead of close. If you ever measured with a gram scale you will find a volume measurement will be off quite a ways from one time to the next. I know maybe dont need it that close. But If you ever made something more then once and noticed it wasnt quite the same this is probably why. Using metric I know every batch will taste exactly like the last, An important thing if you make it for others. After all they liked the other batch.
I'm not a rocket scientist or over thinking this. I simply like to be able to do the best I can. The same reason I added a dual element,  a PID, and use a good wire less themometer. You could smoke as well with the OBS but you wouldnt be in full control and able to do the same thing twice exactly. Guess its a control thing. LOL ::) ;D
Inside setup.