Brisket Time -- Second element

Started by kfin, June 22, 2012, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

I have recently installed a second element and haven't done a brisket yet. Also the only other times I have done brisket, I have had 3 or 4 of them in at one time. We are thinking of putting one in tonight. With several of them in there at once and only having the original heating element I could sleep rather easy. :) Not sure about only 1 and having the second element on.

Those of you who have added the second element and done only one brisket in the smoker.......will it still be the same time guidelines? Generally I have put them in around 6:00 pm and when I woke up the smoker still was not up to 225. I noticed that when I cooked 5 racks of ribs with the second element, that things gets up to temp way faster.

Anybody got experience here so I can sleep tonight?

mikecorn.1

Being that you are gonna be cooking at a constant temp (225*), I would say yes. I'm assuming you are running a PID with it. You are not going to have the temp swings as with one element.
Then again, I could be way wrong. ;D
I had a ten lb brisket take 10 hrs in my dualed out Bradley.
All meats are different so it could have very well taken much longer also. Just one of those things. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

kfin

Yes, I have a PID on it so the temp should stay constant. That second element certainly does get up to speed much quicker! We will see what happens. Probably gonna be tomorrow nights project.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: kfin on June 22, 2012, 01:58:05 PM
Yes, I have a PID on it so the temp should stay constant. That second element certainly does get up to speed much quicker! We will see what happens. Probably gonna be tomorrow nights project.
Yes it does. And recovery time from when opening the door is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

I have done a 12lb and 14lb by themselves. Put them in at 8 pm with 4 hours smoke. Changed the water after the smoke was done and went to bed. Woke up at 7 to get and all was fine. I also have the maverick 732 (or whatever the #) so I also had the alarm set.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.