OBS Temperature Sensor

Started by dsmiley, June 20, 2012, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Dsmiley

Here is a link to an electronics retailer, although located here in Canada. The link will take you to a page with Thermal cut offs listed. I can't say if they would be a bolt in or not though.

http://www.a1parts.ca/thermal_cut/index.htm

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Glad the chicken turned out alright.

You may want to contact Bradley, just to rule out if other factors could be causing the sensor to trip, because that sensor should not trip at that temperature. You never know, they may have come across this problem in the past.

Mike;

Would you know if that model of thermal cut-off reset themselves?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Just emailed them, i will post the reply when i get it, if i get one.

dsmiley

I purchased a couple sensors last year off ebay with a 135C rating but they did not have the ridged or fixed mount like Bradleys so I haven't used them.  Instead of trying to jury-rig them I'd like to find the fixed mount type.  I also have emailed the company in Mr. Walleye's link to see if they carry the fixed mount type, by the way, thanks Mike.  I'll let you know if they respond.  These are the ebay sensors -

"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

Mr Walleye

Habs

I believe they are self re-setting but I can't say for sure. I came across these a few years ago.

I'll be interested to hear what Toker and Dsmiley find out.

Mike

dsmiley

They answered that they do carry this in a fixed mount so I have provided them specifics and will let you know.

Dean

Dean

dsmiley

In trying to order the sensors it turns out that they only have the loose mount type like I got from ebay.  So it's back to searching.

Dean

Dean

Mr Walleye

Thanks Dsmiley

Is it possible to fix it in mounting bracket with high temp silicone?

Mike

Toker

Sorry guys, 1ST did not get any answer yet about resettable or not but my question this time, why is the wall mount so important? It can not be installed the way it is without it? They have a hole on each side for a screw i think. I received a couple 2 years ago from Y&P and the look like it although not installed yet.

dsmiley

Posted by: Mr Walleye
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »

Thanks Dsmiley

Is it possible to fix it in mounting bracket with high temp silicone?

Mike

Posted by: Toker
« on: Today at 12:52:51 am »

Sorry guys, 1ST did not get any answer yet about resettable or not but my question this time, why is the wall mount so important? It can not be installed the way it is without it? They have a hole on each side for a screw i think. I received a couple 2 years ago from Y&P and the look like it although not installed yet.

The loose mount type might work as it is but I see a chance for heat and grease to enter the rubber sensor holder in the back because of the loose mount.  I considered trying to make it ridged with silicone cement or other high temp product but didn't want to run the risk of it gassing off in the food area.  So I continued my web search.  I found some stateside sensors but they topped out at 120C.  So I went back to ebay and looked at the Chinese stuff and I think I've found some.  These are 135C, they look like they are fixed mount in the photo, and my question to the seller was answered that they are fixed mount so I'm going to order a couple -  http://www.ebay.com/itm/180902245034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649.  The last 2 I bought from China took 7 days to get here (with free shipping) and I'm not in any hurry because I use the smoker mainly for mussels and ribs so I'm good at the lower temps.  I'll let you know what I receive.  By the way, if anyone wants to search, I found the search term "KSD301" to be the ticket.

Dean

Dean

Mr Walleye

Great detective work Dean.  ;)

Let us know how you make out with it. 135 C is about 275 F. I don't know if the way it is mounted has an effect on it. Because it is mounted directly to the back panel of the cabinet, the metal itself may actually act to dissipate the heat somewhat. This may be the reason why they have lowered it over the years. There could also be a difference on the effect by the types of metal used in the cabinet. The OBS had an aluminum interior and the DBS had stainless. I'm not sure about the new one out, for some reason I think it's stainless.

Mike

dsmiley

Thanks, Mike.  I got an email today that the order has shipped.  There is something wrong here when you can buy 2 thermal sensors, have them shipped half way around the world, and have them delivered to your door for $3.26.  I feel like I have driven another little nail into this country's coffin.   I would have purchased them stateside if I could have found them, but then, that's another issue. 

I'm thinking that it shouldn't make a difference what the metals are because everything should be the same temperature, no?  I mean, if it's 200* in the cabinet, then the stainless would be 200* or low carbon steel would be 200*, as would the sensor?  I don't know, too much for my feeble mind.

Dean

Dean

Mr Walleye

Dean

I agree with you, 200 degrees should be 200 degrees regardless of the material but I have seen some sensors that are isolated from the mounting surface. I would think that once you have maintained a temp for a period of time it would balance out. The only thing that may effect it would be the surface temp of the element (being high) transferring heat to the back wall because of its close proximity and how the different types of metal (aluminum or stainless) conducts the heat.

Mike

dsmiley

Yup, I see what you mean, Mike, and in fact, maybe the sensor should be insulated from the wall so it more accurately reflects the actual air temp.  Speaking of surface temps, that was the first time I used an ice cube to reset the sensor and I was thinking that I would lose a lot of heat while waiting for the sensor to reset.  Not so.  That sensor reset within 2 seconds from the time I touched it with the cube.  It's a good trick to remember if you have this problem.

Dean

Dean

dsmiley

The new 135C sensors arrived yesterday, taking 11 days from China to Maine.  They were a drop-in replacement with fixed mounting with one minor exception - the electrical tabs of the old one were .032" thick and the new electrical tabs are .024" thick so the electrical connectors needed to be squeezed up a bit with pliars to make a good contact on the tabs - 10 seconds maybe. 
The link where I bought them is about to expire but if you search "2 Pcs KSD301 Temperature Controller Switch 135 Celsius N.C." on ebay you will see quite a few more.
I think there is a good chance I'll never see this new sensor tripped since I have no plans to ever go above 250F but at least it won't be tripping at 225*.  The sensor on the left is the new one and the one on the right is from our Bradley parts supplier.
And a reminder to those that make this change - the many screws that hold the back panel on strip easily so be careful how you torque them.  I recommend that you just snug them up and stop.

Dean

Dean