OBS Temperature Sensor

Started by dsmiley, June 20, 2012, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Thanks for reporting back Dean.

Those suckers are pretty much identical for sure.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Is it just me or does the new one on the left say it is for use in a 250v machine not for use in a 120v?? I haven't been following the thread just seen this picture that's why I am asking
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dsmiley

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 08, 2012, 01:14:22 PM
Is it just me or does the new one on the left say it is for use in a 250v machine not for use in a 120v?? I haven't been following the thread just seen this picture that's why I am asking

I would interpret that as being insulated for 250v; I think our real concern here is amperage.   I'm pretty sure that this is a basic bimetal switch which will complete a circuit or not regardless of the voltage, similar to a mercury switch.    It will be temperature driven.  I'm also pretty sure that being rated for 250 volts does not mean "not for use in a 120v".  I might be wrong but it is already installed so I'll tell you of any problems I have.  Maybe an electrical engineer out there will confirm my thoughts, or enlighten us.

Dean 
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

Mr Walleye

That would be my belief as well Dean.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night!  ;D

Mike

dsmiley

Just want to close the loop so to speak.  I smoked 10 pounds of chicken breasts the other day and I touched 235* with no sensor trip so it appears that my problem has been remedied with the new sensor.  I also noticed that since starting this thread Bradley has changed the maximum temperature specifications on their website from 280*F to 250* for the OBS.

Oh yes... I almost forgot the proof -

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

Mr Walleye

... and that's fine looking proof there Dean!  8)

Congrats!

Mike

mikecorn.1

Nice looking plate of grub!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BeagleLady58

Quote from: dsmiley on June 20, 2012, 01:52:30 PM
I smoked some Chicken today using the Chicken Italiano recipe (modified) and I had the PID set for 240*.  The main element kicked out at around 230-235*so I continued on just using the second added element.  This has been a problem in the past so this spring I changed the temperature sensor thinking the original might be bad.  It is rated for 248*, I believe.  Well, I still have the problem.  I did look online for a higher rated sensor but didn't find one in the same design.  Anyway, now I think I'll put a switch on the back panel which will allow me to bypass the sensor.  The sensor is a safety feature which I don't want to completely eliminate but I do want to be able to get to higher temps using both elements and this should allow that.  I have noticed many a smoker going to higher temps and I was wondering if you all remove the sensor from the circuit or what?  How do you do this?

I recently found Jan's Dry Rub recipe so I used this on the chicken.  I was worried about the chicken drying out without a brine but this chicken was moist and tender and the rub took it over the top.  I really love smoker successes!  Thank you Jan and KyNola.  Can't wait to try it on ribs.

Chicken pic 1 –http://www.deansmiley.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3025&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Chicken pic 2 -http://www.deansmiley.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3028&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Dean
That chicken looks Wonderful!!! Where do I find Jan's dry rub recipe? I am a newbie after all!!! ;D

BeagleLady58

Thank You Devo!!  I will try it sometime soon! BTW, my first ribs came out really well thanks to you all's help!