Butt-Strami

Started by SamuelG, June 23, 2012, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

Using Habanero Smoker Pastrami dry cure recipe to make some Pork Butt Pastrami. I'll be leaving it longer because of the thickness.

Took the bone out

Applied rub and vac packed

SamuelG

sjmcdowall

Wow -- this one seems pretty intriguing!  Keep us posted!

squirtthecat

This does sound interesting.

ghost9mm

Will be watching this one for sure...sounds interesting...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

Sounds interesting,,,,,,,,,,,but dont you think that butt is gonna make for some kinda fatty Strami?

I look for the leanest hunk of meat to make Strami,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin.  ;D

mikecorn.1

Quote from: SamuelG on June 23, 2012, 07:45:40 PM
Using Habanero Smoker Pastrami dry cure recipe to make some Pork Butt Pastrami. I'll be leaving it longer because of the thickness.

Took the bone out

Applied rub and vac packed

Don't know squat about pastrami other than its taste great on a Sammie. Looking good Sir! :)

Now this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Up In Smoke

Think i am gonna need to keep an eye on this one.
You have peaked my interest.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smokin Soon

That looks like a cross between Buckboard Bacon and Pastrami. I really like that idea. My problem is every time I try to remove the bone, I end up with a mess!

KyNola

Quote from: OU812 on June 25, 2012, 11:56:36 AM
Sounds interesting,,,,,,,,,,,but dont you think that butt is gonna make for some kinda fatty Strami?
I look for the leanest hunk of meat to make Strami,,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin.  ;D
My thought exactly Curt.

SamuelG

My thought process was to get a cut of pork with pastrami like flavor. 

The high amount of fat preliminarily to me was a good thing. I love the taste of dry cured fat, so i figured to give this a try.  After some of the great posts I got, the fat content will definitely be a deal breaker if it does not end up like I figured it would. I guess there is only one way to find out....

The carving did split one of the ends, which might ruin that side. I will try to tie it or smoke it in a net.... Maybe even a casing.

I was estimating I would need to cure it at least 7 days because of the thickness...any ideas ?

Keep all the comments and suggestions coming... Really appreciate it!

Gracias.

:) :) :)
SamuelG

KyNola

Cut of pork with pastrami like flavor immediately made me think of a nicely trimmed pork loin.

I'll be interested to see how the butt turns out.  Your pastrami may be a little fatty but it will still have a great flavor I'm sure.

I did a turkey breast pastrami that was a killer and I have an idea in my head for boneless skinless chicken breast individual pastramis too.

SamuelG

It's great to experiment! :)

That pork loin is calling me...
SamuelG

Up In Smoke

Quote from: KyNola on June 25, 2012, 08:59:00 PM
Cut of pork with pastrami like flavor immediately made me think of a nicely trimmed pork loin.

I'll be interested to see how the butt turns out.  Your pastrami may be a little fatty but it will still have a great flavor I'm sure.

I did a turkey breast pastrami that was a killer and I have an idea in my head for boneless skinless chicken breast individual pastramis too.
Ditto on the loin Larry, that was the first thing that entered my mind.
the chicken breast idea is rather intriguing also.

How long did the turkey breast cure before you smoked it?
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

Don't mean to hijack the thread Sam.  The turkey breast was in a brine for 3 days that had zero cure #1.  I got the brine recipe from a Guy Fieri episode.  After the brining, I put Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub on it and into the smoker.  It was absolute killer.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/turkey-pastrami-recipe/index.html

I did not use his pastrami rub recipe as I really like Uncle Louie's.

Up In Smoke

Thanks Larry

My apologies Sam.
2 Bradley OBS