Butt-Strami

Started by SamuelG, June 23, 2012, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

None needed! 

This is why I post to learn and get different ideas / perspectives.

:) :) :)
SamuelG

sjmcdowall

Quote from: KyNola on June 25, 2012, 08:59:00 PM
Cut of pork with pastrami like flavor immediately made me think of a nicely trimmed pork loin.

I'll be interested to see how the butt turns out.  Your pastrami may be a little fatty but it will still have a great flavor I'm sure.

I did a turkey breast pastrami that was a killer and I have an idea in my head for boneless skinless chicken breast individual pastramis too.

Lean pastrami is an abomination to all pastramis!!  :)  I love "fatty" pastrami and look to use either the point cut of brisket or a whole beef plate ... due to the extra lovely fat on it.  :)

beefmann

hummm port strami... cant wait to see how it turns out

SamuelG

It's firming up really well.  As its curing I've kept weight on it to flatten it out.

I might just smoke or next week...
SamuelG

viper125

Hey pork fat rules! The butt is my favorite piece of pork with ham a close second. I prefer some fat. And a loin just dont have the flavor i want. Use it mostly for Canadian bacon and its ok. But the same recipe on a butt is outstanding!Never thought of it for any Strami! Bet it will be outrageous. Got me biting at the bit here. Will see how it comes out and probably do one my self. Thanks for the new twist. This is why I prefer people who make their own recipes and work out side the box.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SamuelG

Quote from: viper125 on June 27, 2012, 11:31:36 AM
Hey pork fat rules! The butt is my favorite piece of pork with ham a close second. I prefer some fat. And a loin just dont have the flavor i want. Use it mostly for Canadian bacon and its ok. But the same recipe on a butt is outstanding!Never thought of it for any Strami! Bet it will be outrageous. Got me biting at the bit here. Will see how it comes out and probably do one my self. Thanks for the new twist. This is why I prefer people who make their own recipes and work out side the box.

I check it many times a day and give it a good rub to make sure that thing cures. It's getting some good color too.

Going to give it a good long slow smoke, like if it was a ham. Wrap it and let it sit a couple days before I slice it.

Getting closer....

SamuelG

viper125

Man after my own heart. Always tend to your favorite butt and tap a few times. LOL Sounds very good! Can't wait to see this cut. That piece of meat is surely a wonder with all we can do with it. And the flavor and fat ratio is so perfect for so many things. Can't wait to see the end results! ;D
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Quote from: SamuelG on June 28, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

I check it many times a day and give it a good rub to make sure that thing cures. It's getting some good color too.

Going to give it a good long slow smoke, like if it was a ham. Wrap it and let it sit a couple days before I slice it.

Getting closer....

I always like to give it a good slap too.  ;D

Cant wait to see and hear bout your results Sam.

SamuelG

Quote from: viper125 on June 29, 2012, 06:02:15 AM
Man after my own heart. Always tend to your favorite butt and tap a few times. LOL Sounds very good! Can't wait to see this cut. That piece of meat is surely a wonder with all we can do with it. And the flavor and fat ratio is so perfect for so many things. Can't wait to see the end results! ;D

SamuelG

SamuelG

Quote from: OU812 on June 29, 2012, 07:08:49 AM
Quote from: SamuelG on June 28, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

Getting closer....

I always like to give it a good slap too.  ;D

Cant wait to see and hear bout your results Sam.

Getting a lot of "curing" love.
SamuelG

SamuelG

Took it out today.

Got some great cured color

Ground the Rub

Rubbed up

Let her sit till tomorrow...
SamuelG

KyNola

Now we're talking!  Getting closer everyday.  Can't wait to see how this turns out.

OU812

Up In Smoke

Quote from: KyNola on July 02, 2012, 07:59:22 AM
Now we're talking!  Getting closer everyday.  Can't wait to see how this turns out.
my sentiments exactly! i don't know who is more excited him or me.
I can only imagine how tender this could turn out compared to a brisket flat.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

SamuelG

I was thinking of smoking it like a ham.... Low Slow Smoke and ramp temp slowly.

I'm just can't wait

:) :)
SamuelG