Can I refreeze?

Started by GusRobin, July 15, 2012, 03:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Had some frozen chicken breasts. Defrosted and mixed to make sausage. Can't make the sausage today. Can I freeze the meat, later defrost and stuff , and since it will be fresh sausage can I still freeze some of the sausage?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

I'm not a sausage maker but once thawed and taken to room temp, I would never do anything with poultry other than cure/cook it immediately.  Refreezing is definitely not one of my permitted risks (although excessive alcohol and cholesterol intake both seem to remain high on the list of okay things).  I'd pitch it.

Up In Smoke

I agree with HK,
however....if you can make the sausage in the next couple of days and then get them into a hot water bath to reach the proper IT i would imagine that a refreeze would be okay.
then thaw as you need and brown.
Not a sausage pro at all, but i don't know why this wouldn't work.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BrandNewSmoker

I know my dog is always happy when i run into that very problem.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

GusRobin

Quote from: Up In Smoke on July 15, 2012, 04:44:54 PM
I agree with HK,
however....if you can make the sausage in the next couple of days and then get them into a hot water bath to reach the proper IT i would imagine that a refreeze would be okay.
then thaw as you need and brown.
Not a sausage pro at all, but i don't know why this wouldn't work.
What is the difference between refreezing now or freezing after I make the Sausage?
The hot water bath will only get it to 155 ish . Don't think that is enough to kill anything.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If it is fully cooked and the meat was handled properly prior to making the sausage it is fine to refreeze.

I make fresh chicken and turkey sausage and on occasion have thawed frozen chicken to make sausage, and then froze it uncooked. It all depends on how you handled the meat, prior to making your sausage, and this goes for beef, pork and other meats. You always want to keep the meat cold. If you thawed the chicken in the refrigerator and not at room temperature (and not stored too long in the refrigerator after thawing), the chicken should be safe to use and refreeze.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

Gus,
i was thinking of an IT of 165 completely forgetting about the possibility of drying the sausage out. sorry.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

Gus If you have all of the seasonings and everything mixed into the sausage already. Make individual sausages and wrap them with saran wrap then cook them in your hot water bath. It will work in a pinch when you don't have casings. You just wont have any smoke on them unless you use liquid smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!