Bourbon Orange BBQ Sauce

Started by sjmcdowall, June 25, 2012, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

This is a variation of a recipe from Meat Head's site:  http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/tennessee_hollerin_whiskey_BBQ_sauce.html

Makes. About 2 cups of sauce.
Preparation time. 45 minutes.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of Bourbon - split into 1 cup and 1/2 cup
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Orange Liqueur  (I used Cointreau)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
4 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons Steak Sauce (I used HP Steak Sauce)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (or to taste)

1.  Carefully reduce 1 cup of the Bourbon down to 2 Tbsp or so. Do NOT flambĂ© the alcohol off.

2.  In a sauce pan, mix all ingredients (including the 1/2 cup of Bourbon not used in step 1) and bring to a simmer.  Simmer about 30 minutes or until reduced down by 1/3.

SiFumar

Sounds interesting....I'm not sure tho if I want to waste that much of my booze on a sauce tho.

mikecorn.1

Sauce sounds good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

sjmcdowall

Quote from: SiFumar on June 25, 2012, 05:38:48 PM
Sounds interesting....I'm not sure tho if I want to waste that much of my booze on a sauce tho.

You don't need to use GOOD bourbon (well, good enough to tolerate the leftovers from the bottle) :)

I tell you , this sauce is some of the best I've made -- the bourbon flavor really comes out nicely .... 

Get some "cheap" bourbon and give it a shot -- you'll thank me later. 

Consooger

Made some of this sauce from Meat Head's site, WOW, this stuff is good. Made a batch for the 3 butts I have for tomorrow. I am going to give your recipe a shot and see which one I like better.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

CentPaSmokin

Just made a batch from Meatheads site but added 1/2 cup of brown sugar and a generous 1/4 tsp. of cayenne wow fantastic. I will admit I almost cried when I looked at my whiskey bottle afterwards.

Smoker John

This sounds good, but man 1 1/2 cups of bourbon is hard to give up lol
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

SiFumar

OK I'll have to look for cheaper stuff to make this...any suggestions?

Consooger

I used old crow the first time I made this which was yesterday, cost like $11 a 5th and it turned out amazing. Just cant see using Knob Creek of Maker's on this stuff!

I used the exact recipe from the BBQ site and it didn't last today it was all gone and I made 2 batches!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

SiFumar

Ok I will find some cheaper bourbon..you've convinced me!  ;D  I don't have to drink it...can make more sauce if it's as good as you say.

Habanero Smoker

Just don't purchase any thing you wouldn't drink. It's the same with wine, I don't cook with a wine that I would not drink. I made that mistake a few times before I changed that habit. Jim Beam makes a decent 4 year-old bourbon that has a reasonable price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sjmcdowall

Quote from: Consooger on July 04, 2012, 07:42:15 PM
I used old crow the first time I made this which was yesterday, cost like $11 a 5th and it turned out amazing. Just cant see using Knob Creek of Maker's on this stuff!

I used the exact recipe from the BBQ site and it didn't last today it was all gone and I made 2 batches!

Try my variation -- I swear -- you'll like it better I think. :) 

Also the recipe easily doubles ... although now that's just about a whole bottle of bourbon gone.  LOL :)

Consooger

Making a batch of your recipe as we speak. I completely forgot ho expensive Cointreau was. Good thing it only clls for 1/4 cup!

PHEW!!!!!

I will post back after it settles. I'm excited to try this.

John
               -My Wife

SiFumar

Tried this today.  Had a lot of company the past few weeks so had some extra booze lying around. ;D Used Triple Sec for the orange liquor, and Evan Williams for the bourbon.

Had some SRG wings from the AM so tried it on them.

Not sure if I like it....could be the molasses...will try it again with light brown sugar.  Could be I also need to wait until it chills overnight.  I did like the bourbon/orange flavor tho.

SiFumar

Tried it again today and it was much better.  I guess it need to chill and mellow out.  Thanks for the recipe!