Second 550W heating element installation - can I use the original slide?

Started by 4given, June 26, 2012, 11:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

So I ordered another 500 watt element to do the mod on my  OBS.  I looked on the install instructions on the recipe site and notcied that Habs took the slide temp controler out of the circut because he wasn't sure if it could handle two elements. He is using a PID anyway so he did not need another temp control.

I do not plan on getting a PID anytime soon so I was wondering if anybody has just wired the new element in around the slide and then left the old element on the slide.  I can't get my Bradley to go over 225 - 250 empty on a sunny day. with all four racks full of pork chops or chicken parts it won't go over 150.    I figure one element would get the cab up to 150 and I could adjust the other with the slide to get up to the desired temp.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

TedEbear

I don't think it's a good idea to wire it so that one element remains on full power all the time.  The dual element mod says to have a PID controller and all of us who have added a second element always remind people of that.

You can add an Auber PID controller for around $45, mounted in your SG box.  With a 25A SSR and a few other things to make it all work the total cost would be around $70-$80.

Kahunas

I agree with TedEbear on this but if you insist on doing it at least put it on a switch so you can shut if off.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

viper125

I left the one on the slide and the other on a switch wired directly. So I could cut one off if needed. But they both are controlled by my pid. Has been a big improvement here.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I would not do it without a PID, or some other temperature control device. You would have to constantly monitor it, because the heat control could only be done by adjusting the slider, and as conditions inside the cabinet change, the higher the temperature will get.

There have been members who have stated they hooked up both elements to the slider, but I don't recall many reporting back how well it has worked. If you follow the instruction on how I set up mine, I left the original wires to the element as from the factory, and wired the second element to by pass the slider.

If you do go through with this, I would also add the in-line fuse and a sensor on the same circuit of the second element.

Here is how TestRocket set up his, but he is also using a PID:

TestRocket's Second Element Modification

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Thanks for the good advice guys! Finishing my smokes in the oven is looking more and more attractive. I think I will wait until I get a PID and just keep the new element as a spare.

You know it does seem like my Bradley does not get as hot as when I first got it earlier this year. Could just be my imagination............
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

GusRobin

Quote from: 4given on June 27, 2012, 06:23:47 AM
Thanks for the good advice guys! Finishing my smokes in the oven is looking more and more attractive. I think I will wait until I get a PID and just keep the new element as a spare.

You know it does seem like my Bradley does not get as hot as when I first got it earlier this year. Could just be my imagination............
Until y get a pid you could add the second element (with the shutoff switch) and just use the second element manually to get to temp, then shut it off and use the slider like normal. That is how I operated mine when my PID went out and I was waiting for it to return. But you need to have the shutoff switch.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.