Cold smoke box

Started by BrandNewSmoker, June 29, 2012, 01:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandNewSmoker

Hello all,
     Once again i turn to all of you for advise.
            This time I want to build a box to help in cold smoking. My question is is there a problem with building the box out of pine? I was going to use hickory but at 3to 4 dollars a linear foot i figured wife would not be to happy if i dropped 100 plus bucks just  for like 6 planks. box dimensions are going to be 24'L X 13"H X 16.5'W.
     any input is greatly appreciated

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Tenpoint5

Why not get the cold smoke adapter for your Bradley and smoke that way?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BrandNewSmoker

really for no other reason then to give me something to do, and the box can stay placed right under the smoker.
plus anyone can make it work with the right parts...lol

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

viper125

Wood burns steel don't no brainer.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

manxman

QuoteThis time I want to build a box to help in cold smoking. My question is is there a problem with building the box out of pine?

As long as it is just for cold smoking I can't see that there is a problem with using pine. Quite a few of us here used cardboard boxes for a while and there are probably still those that do.

Given that the cardboard doesn't get hot enough to ignite when used for cold smoking it follows that pine wouldn't either. Therefore there is little risk of a fire or tainted food if set up along the same lines as the cardboard box method or the Bradley cold smoke unit.

Manxman

Up In Smoke

If its a functional project you are looking for, and you want to reduce the risk of using wood there is always this!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16207.0
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BrandNewSmoker

I am not as worried about catching fire as the sap in the pine weeping and causing a bad taste. i hadn't planned on treating the box with anything and didn't know if the heat caused by the sg would cause the sap to run/drip on the hot plate and change the flavor.
        sorry should have put this in original post.

manxman

Quotedidn't know if the heat caused by the sg would cause the sap to run/drip on the hot plate and change the flavor.

IMHO it would not get hot enough for this to happen.
Manxman

Salmonsmoker

No worries on using pine, green or dry. The wood you're smoking with will go into the pine, not the other way. The pine won't get hot enough to release anything into the smoke. You can even build a hot smoker using pine with the same results. If you end up with pine flavor in your food I think you've got another problem that will be needing IMMEDIATE attention. :o ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

viper125

Well Im a wood worker so my first thought is always wood. But im also paranoid at times. So I spent a lot of time researching this very subject before using a metal mail box.
If you would use a wood box once or even a few times it wood probably be ok. Trouble with a wood product is as it dries it changes. And wood will get to a point it has a flash feature. were very little heat or spark will send it up like gasoline.
I even thought of a lining to protect it but that don't stop the drying. the purpose for me to remove my smoke generator from my smoker was the fact there is a lot less chance for a fire. No grease and smoldering wood to come in contact with it. So adding any thing burnable to mine is out of the question. Especially since mine is indoors and I prefer the most safe set up I can have.
The following is just my opinion and not necessarily that of others on here. I add this because People have taken what I said wrong and it is recommended to do. ;)
Inside setup.

KyNola

viper125

Thinking of adding that to my tag line. I really do hate to offend or feel pushy. But I guess i care and want people to understand too much.
Who said you cant teach a dog new tricks?
:o
Inside setup.

3rensho

QuoteQuite a few of us here used cardboard boxes for a while and there are probably still those that do.

Still using the same cardboard box I started with over six years ago!!
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.