Bradley Maple Cure

Started by kelpiedg, July 05, 2012, 07:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelpiedg

So I am getting ready to make Bacon again.  I am wondering if anybody has made a wet brine from the Bradley cure?  I have done 10.5's and the Bradley recipe. Just curious and thought I would try something new.

kelpiedg

I didnt finish my question, is their an advantage to the wet cure? taste, better cure ratio?

Habanero Smoker

Though I prefer the texture of meat that is cured with a dry cure; you should give it a try. If you cure by the instructions, you can't go wrong.

The only advantage I can think of (remember it's early in the morning  :) ) is that you shorten the curing time. A lot of people feel it makes the meat moister, but I haven't notice. I'm not sure what you mean by better cure ratio, but in application/theory with a wet cure (brine) a higher percentage of the cure is more directly in contact with the meat at all times; thus shortening the curing time. Giving this more thought, maybe more flavor is carried into the meat, but I haven't noticed a significant difference.

The disadvantage is that it usually takes up more room in your refrigerator, or the containers are difficult to fit into the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kelpiedg

Thank you Habenero.  You did answer my questions.  Now I just need to decide how I am going to do it.  If I do the wet cure I will have to take it to work for refrigeration. 

Habanero Smoker

How much bacon are you curing?

If you lists the obstacles you have to overcome to wet cure, there are many here that can help you find a solution.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kelpiedg

I'm doing 11lbs of side pork. I wasn't feeling adventurous this morning so I went with the dry rub. My wife usually gives me weird looks when a experiment. So since she was home i just went with the old tried and true method. 

KyNola

Quote from: kelpiedg on July 06, 2012, 07:03:55 PM
I'm doing 11lbs of side pork. I wasn't feeling adventurous this morning so I went with the dry rub. My wife usually gives me weird looks when a experiment. So since she was home i just went with the old tried and true method.
Good call.

Habanero Smoker

I'm curious why you went with the dry cure method. Wet curing bacon is really not that adventurist or experimental, and just as old, tried and true.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kelpiedg

Fridge space mostly. I just didnt want to haul it to my office to put in the big fridge.  Really no other reason.

sjmcdowall

That's why my wife insisted I get my own separate fridge -- just for my "experiments"  ;D