Just pick up a OBS

Started by IAPILOT, July 01, 2012, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAPILOT

Hello everyone, thank you all for your input on the OBS. I have been thinking about buying one for about 3 years. Today my wife & I were in Cabela's and she walked over to the smokers and ask "what one do you want"?
They only had oak & apple smoking pucks, tonight I watch a You tube video of a guy making chicken cordon bleu wrapped in bacon. WOW does that look great. Would the apple smoke work good with this? Or have you all used something different?

Thanks again for all your info.

GusRobin

I use mostly hickory. But it is all a matter of choice. So when you do a cook, keep good notes of times, temp settings, puck type, rubs, etc and make adjustments the next time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. I likes pecan, mesquite and everything else ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Welcome and the simple answer is yes, apple will work just fine for the chicken.

Enjoy!

OU812

Apple goes great with chicken.

2 hr of Apple on chicken works for me.

IAPILOT

I have to tell you, this thing is wonderful!!!!!! I did the chicken tonight man what a flavor. I had a hard time with the temp and I understand it was almost 100 outside but I feel it turned out very well. I had a hard time with the cheese (it all leaked out) but the flavor of it was still there.
I seasoned the smoker this afternoon with hickory for 1 hour 40 minutes. Tonight I used apple for 2 hours 10 minutes at between 220 and 238 degrees. It did get to 240* so I opened the door once for about 30 seconds to bring the heat down a bit faster. After that I was able to keep it stable a bit better.
I'm hoping with time comes better heat control and a better understanding of cooking with this OBS. I can not tell you how happy I am that I took the step. This week I will be building a box for the smoker to sit on, and incorporate it into a cold smoke box. I also am thinking about making a pull out drawer for the smoke generator. I have some old casters so I can roll it around. I will try posting some photos of the box and drawer when I'm done.

Thanks guys for all your help.

mikecorn.1

Don't sweat the temp swings. It's all good. Try to keep the Bradley out of direct sunlight.

Mike

KyNola

Great first cook!  You were cooking chicken so the temp getting up to 240 would not have been a problem.  Chicken at low temps for a prolonged period is not a good idea.  You did great.

Smoker John

Sounds loike you are off to a great start, welcome aboard
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

OU812

No pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,didnt happin.  ;D

I crank the heat all the way up when doin chicken.

Poultry is so lean and the skin is so fatty it dont really need slow N low.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on July 03, 2012, 06:30:33 AM
No pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,didnt happin.  ;D

I crank the heat all the way up when doin chicken.

Poultry is so lean and the skin is so fatty it dont really need slow N low.
Ditto. I made some thighs Sunday and had the Mr. Bradley set at 240. No problems.
Btw. It happened ;D it's in a thread I posted. ;)
Here it is

Mike

IAPILOT

I got my box built this afternoon. I just need to paint it & add some plexiglass to the top. I'm hoping by doing this
I will help with cleanup. When I'm done I will try again to add photos. My meal would not work.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: IAPILOT on July 03, 2012, 01:35:52 PM
I got my box built this afternoon. I just need to paint it & add some plexiglass to the top. I'm hoping by doing this
I will help with cleanup. When I'm done I will try again to add photos. My meal would not work.
There's no trying here, JUST DO IT!! ;D

Mike

IAPILOT

Before Smoking

After

Back of cabinet

Front of cabinet ( I have not got the panel with the drawer done yet)

IAPILOT

Thanks for your help on photo posting.