Dry Rub Baby Back Ribs = Jerky?!?!

Started by st3v32k12, July 03, 2012, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

st3v32k12

So I am working on perfecting my own technique altering the above advice here are there as I work out what I like best, and a questions occurs to me...

Is it not possible to dry rub the ribs and smoke them for x amount of time and end up with juicy, not-so-fall-off the bone ribs (tender, but not fall apart tender) without foiling?  I mean can you not just put the ribs in, smoke/cook them for a certain amount of time and then take them out and eat them?

What do the smokehouse restaurants do (where I have at this point gotten my best baby back ribs)?  I have been to several, in many different cities, most of which make a point to make the smoker visible to the customers, and I have yet to see them foiling their ribs.  Same with shows like DDD where they show someone smoking ribs almost every episode and I never see foiling.

I'm not being picky, I am just trying to copy exactly what I am getting in these restaurants, which is some of the best food I have ever eaten.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: st3v32k12 on July 25, 2012, 05:03:20 AM
So I am working on perfecting my own technique altering the above advice here are there as I work out what I like best, and a questions occurs to me...

Is it not possible to dry rub the ribs and smoke them for x amount of time and end up with juicy, not-so-fall-off the bone ribs (tender, but not fall apart tender) without foiling?  I mean can you not just put the ribs in, smoke/cook them for a certain amount of time and then take them out and eat them?

What do the smokehouse restaurants do (where I have at this point gotten my best baby back ribs)?  I have been to several, in many different cities, most of which make a point to make the smoker visible to the customers, and I have yet to see them foiling their ribs.  Same with shows like DDD where they show someone smoking ribs almost every episode and I never see foiling.

I'm not being picky, I am just trying to copy exactly what I am getting in these restaurants, which is some of the best food I have ever eaten.
You would be surprised in how many places boil their ribs first then apply smoke. Of course, they're not going to show you a view if the pots full off rib racks. ;D
I saw an episode of DDD, where all the customers swore the place they were at had the best dry rub smoked ribs. (no foil) HE WOULD BOIL THRM FIRST, then dust them and smoke them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

The short answer to your question is yes you certainly can.  You will have to experiment until you hit the combination that you like best.  You may "ruin" a few ribs until you hit the perfect combination of time, heat and rubs.  You can always eat your failed experiments. :)

Mike, if you ever mention boiling ribs again I am going to come all the way to Richwood TX just to kick your pulled pork butt! ;D

Tenpoint5

Yes you can make ribs in a Bradley with out foil.

These ribs were cooked without foil

All done and ready to eat. They must have been good because I didn't get any and I was hosting the Smoke Out!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

Yes you can do them with just the rub. Just make sure the meat is pulled back from the bone about 1/2 ". That is when they are done. Might take 6 or 7 hours.

York

I've had success with dry rub ribs. I do mop throughout the cook. I don't foil them and they take the normal amount of time.

To my family that is dry rub ribs. In fact they like them better than my candy ribs(foil with honey, brown sugar, and butter).

mikecorn.1

Quote from: KyNola on July 25, 2012, 07:27:43 AM
The short answer to your question is yes you certainly can.  You will have to experiment until you hit the combination that you like best.  You may "ruin" a few ribs until you hit the perfect combination of time, heat and rubs.  You can always eat your failed experiments. :)

Mike, if you ever mention boiling ribs again I am going to come all the way to Richwood TX just to kick your pulled pork butt! ;D
I never said I did that ;D I got a buddy that does that thing I mentioned above :o.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

st3v32k12

So let's see if I've got this right...

Apply dry rub, marinade (or not depending on who you ask), put in smoker.  1.5 - 3 hours of smoke.  Mop with sauce or spray with juice/oil around every 1-1.5 hours.

Cook for 6 to 7 hours.

So using the above technique I will not end up with jerky?

Habanero Smoker

If you are using a cabinet temperature around 225°F, you don't want to cook you baby backs that long. You will be cooking them close to 5 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: st3v32k12 on August 09, 2012, 09:41:23 AM
Cook for 6 to 7 hours.

Way too long for baby back ribs.  I've had good results with smoking them for 2 hours, sealing them in foil with apple juice for 2.5 hours and then back on the rack for a final 1/2 hour, out of the foil.

jm38712

So I have tried ribs a few times now.  I rub them the night before, smoke them 2 to 2 1/2 hours and then cook an additional 2 or 3 hours (probably 5 hours in total).  I have tried with aluminum wrap for an hour or so and without.  The result is that the family thinks they aren't "fall off the bone enough".  They are still a bit too meaty and firm (although they are definitely not tough).

I am thinking of trying to steam them first as with the following, which is based upon a method I used to use in the oven:

Rub night before with dry rub
Put ribs in a roasting pan with a rack to keep ribs out out of the liquid
Fill bottom of pan with a beer, peppercorns, bay leaves etc
Cover roasting pan
Roast in the oven for 2 hours
Smoke in the Bradley with smoke for 2 hours
Mop with bbq sauce for a final hour in the Bradley
Total of 5 hours cooking

Any comments?  Anyone tried something similar?

Appreciate the help from everyone in advance.

muebe

Quote from: jm38712 on August 13, 2012, 09:47:45 AM
So I have tried ribs a few times now.  I rub them the night before, smoke them 2 to 2 1/2 hours and then cook an additional 2 or 3 hours (probably 5 hours in total).  I have tried with aluminum wrap for an hour or so and without.  The result is that the family thinks they aren't "fall off the bone enough".  They are still a bit too meaty and firm (although they are definitely not tough).

I am thinking of trying to steam them first as with the following, which is based upon a method I used to use in the oven:

Rub night before with dry rub
Put ribs in a roasting pan with a rack to keep ribs out out of the liquid
Fill bottom of pan with a beer, peppercorns, bay leaves etc
Cover roasting pan
Roast in the oven for 2 hours
Smoke in the Bradley with smoke for 2 hours
Mop with bbq sauce for a final hour in the Bradley
Total of 5 hours cooking

Any comments?  Anyone tried something similar?

Appreciate the help from everyone in advance.

Increase your foil time and they will become more fall off the bone tender. Go too long with the foil and they will become "mushy"
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Phatman

There is a brilliant post on the Susan minor site authored by pachanga about smoking ribs/butts/briskets without the foil crutch. It is worth the read, since you asked about skipping the foil.