venison

Started by NickPrice, June 13, 2004, 04:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickPrice

Venison
I have come into contact with a lot of people who want to smoke venison. I have no clear idea of the level of curing required and what to smoke with or for how long, Any one have any ideas I would be very grateful. I have been told that a haunch can also be cured and smoked like a Palma ham?
Nick Price

jaeger

You will need a brine needle to inject the brine(especially if the muscle is large). Find a sugar cure intended for brining(e:Brown sugar cure),pump the meat with the recommended mixture.You will pump at about 10-12% of the weight of the meat. (If the meat weighs 10 lbs. pump 1.2 lbs of brine into the meat). Pump the meat in a pattern to evenly distribute the brine. Next rub the entire outside of the meat with the dry cure, place in a plastic container and refrigerate for 4-7 days. The larger the meat, the longer cure time. When this cure time is done, rinse off the cure and soak in cold water for a couple of hours. Next dry off and put in your smoker. Use your favorite smoke or if in doubt use hickory. Smoke and cook to an internal temp. of 155.
IMHO a whole haunch would be hard to work with. Unless you are going to feed a lot of people at one time, I would separate the top round from the bottom and eye and will have more managable pieces. Hope you give it a try![:)]

If at first you don't succeed.....try a double smoke...

PAsmoker

I've always been taught to freeze the venison for 30-60 days to kill bacteria & organisms before curing & making jerky etc (I beleive that came from a deer butchering/sausage making video I bought a few years ago & jerky recipie packs).  The level of curing also depends on what you want to make (ie sausage, dry beef, jerky, etc).
The Original PAsmoker