Newbie Smoker.

Started by kooks, July 03, 2012, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kooks

I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions about smoking for the veterans out there....

1)  I've decided to put my smoker outside and cover it when not in use.  I live in a cold, rainy, & windy climate in the midwest.  Is that a good idea or should I manufacture a way to make the smoker "moveable" in and out of the garage?  maybe even find a way to smoke from the garage??

2)  What is the standard temperature range from the "low" setting to the "high" setting on the dial of the Bradley Original Smoker 2012?  I'm trying to get a better gauge of where the dial should be to start meat.

Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'll have some more soon!

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. Can't help ya on the
Dial setting cause I have a digital. You can keep it outside. But I would bring the smoke generator in to keep it out of the elements. A cover would be fine but if you have room like I do, why not lug it into the garage. It's not heavy.
You can certainly build something to wheel it back and forth or build a small storage to keep it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

IAPILOT

Hi, welcome. I'm new to smoking also. Today I made a box for my smoker, I got a sheet of plywood and made a 31 1/2 inch by 16 box. With some leftover caster from an old toolbox I now have a moving smoker. I also installed a drawer so I could store my smoker generator, cords, & extra smoking pucks. For what ever reason I can't post photos I can email you what it looks like if you want.

I hope you enjoy your new smoker.
Cheers

mikecorn.1

Quote from: IAPILOT on July 03, 2012, 02:32:28 PM
Hi, welcome. I'm new to smoking also. Today I made a box for my smoker, I got a sheet of plywood and made a 31 1/2 inch by 16 box. With some leftover caster from an old toolbox I now have a moving smoker. I also installed a drawer so I could store my smoker generator, cords, & extra smoking pucks. For what ever reason I can't post photos I can email you what it looks like if you want.

I hope you enjoy your new smoker.
Cheers
adding pics

Mike

beefmann

welcome to the forum Kook,

here is an idea to consider...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.msg213170#msg213170

and if it is cold keep the doors closed and it  helps keep the smoker at temp and add a  vent  in the top

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

The temperature control is only a rheostat, there is no thermostat in the new original Bradley (NOBS). Therefore the cabinet temperature will rise of fall, depending on the conditions of the cabinet. For example, is you set the dial all the way, and you want to cook at  a temperature of 225°F; after adding the meat the cabinet temperature will drop. After awhile the heat will begin to rise and may go above 225°F, and you will need to dial it down. So it is best to start with the dial at full power, and adjust the dial as conditions change.

Keep a log, on the ambient conditions, the type of foods, and the amounts. After a while you will be able to gauge better. And if you don't have one yet, a temperature probe to monitor the cabinet and meat is well worth the investment. Most have the Maverick ET-732.

I leave my smoker out 24/7 with the cover. If you do have a place to store it indoors, place it on a chart to make it easier to wheeled back and forth.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kooks

Another question.  When letting the smoker cool off.  Do you at all open the door to expidite the process?

TedEbear

Quote from: kooks on July 05, 2012, 03:55:07 PM
Another question.  When letting the smoker cool off.  Do you at all open the door to expidite the process?

I do but you have to be careful.  One time the wind was blowing pretty hard and it caught the door and ripped it right off the hinges.

Tenpoint5

I close the door and walk away. Let it cool down naturally
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 06, 2012, 06:00:55 AM
I close the door and walk away. Let it cool down naturally
Ditto.

Mike

dsmiley

Kooks, I'm a newbie here too but have been smoking with the OBS for a couple of years.  I had the same questions as you.  I ended up building a cabinet to hold the smoker and all the smoking accoutrements.  I purchased a Bradley smoker cover but the weather was damaging my cabinet top so I ended up getting a cover from Mcmaster-Carr for about $20 that covered the whole setup.  It's unattractive but very functional.  I will be smoking in the garage when winter comes.

I can't address your temperature questions.  I have added an element and temperature controller (PID) and have been smoking that way from the beginning.

Hope this is of some use, and welcome to the forum!

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Dean

Habanero Smoker

I leave mine outdoors 24/7, and want it to cool down as quick as possible so I can replace the cover. On calm days, I will leave the door open, but as TedEBear stated; you don't want to do that on a windy day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)