How do you make your Butt Bark.

Started by Scotty Dog, July 03, 2012, 10:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

;D I set myself up for this one!  :o

On the serious side of this question.....
Can I add molasses or something else half way through the cook time to increase the bark experience?  I have read some people baste the butt during the cook process.  What about a BBQ sauce during the last 6 hours to increase the bark?  I have seventeen pounds of butt in the oven after smoking for 5 hours.  Should I add water or soda to the drip pan in the oven?

Wildcat

I do not truely know about adding rub, molasses or baste after doing a partial cook. Never tried it. I have spritzed with apple juice from a spray bottle. I have found essentially that when I apply the apple juice it results in a slight elevation of apple flavor (I normally use apple wood for smoking) and the bark tends to be a little softer (depending on how often I do it). I never apply BBQ sauce to a butt. I prefer to let the folks eating it do so at the table.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

Never tried adding more molasses during the cook. You can also cut the butts in half and you'll have some extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

standles

I agree with you that the bark is my favorite part.  Never considered purposely forcing more bark.    I would think more surface area is the key (more bark per square inch) so cutting the butts in half may be the trick.   

Now you done gone and done it.  I have a new science experiment to go off and become obsessed with ;)

Steven

mikecorn.1

Quote from: standles on July 04, 2012, 06:15:13 AM
I agree with you that the bark is my favorite part.  Never considered purposely forcing more bark.    I would think more surface area is the key (more bark per square inch) so cutting the butts in half may be the trick.   

Now you done gone and done it.  I have a new science experiment to go off and become obsessed with ;)

Steven
Nice! Make sure and post pics of your mad experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Chili Head

I use molasses on mine but I've never added more during the cook. I would just cut the butt in half or thirds if it's a large one 
For the increased surface area. The bark is the best part for sure!

KyNola

Molasses is what I use on pork butts.  I would think adding additional molasses to the butt midway through the cooking process could result in a sticky bark rather than a good chewable bark.

Since you asked how I make my butt bark, I find beer and pickled eggs does the trick for me! 8)

Oh come on, you knew somebody was eventually going to the obvious. ;) ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on July 04, 2012, 08:27:33 AMOh come on, you knew somebody was eventually going to the obvious.

KyNola - I wish I'd seen this thread before you posted - I could have made some good money betting that you'd be the one to go there.

KyNola

Scotty Dog

C:\Users\Office\Pictures\Bradley Smoked Salmon and Pork\IMG_8784.JPG

Woke up this morning at 4AM to my temp alarm beeping.  FTC these bad boys and pulled them at 8AM.

SamuelG

Quote from: Scotty Dog on July 04, 2012, 12:22:26 PM

Woke up this morning at 4AM to my temp alarm beeping.  FTC these bad boys and pulled them at 8AM.

:) :) :)
SamuelG

TedEbear

Quote from: Scotty Dog on July 04, 2012, 12:22:26 PM

You need to upload pics to a host site such as Photobucket.  Nothing shows up when you try to post them directly from your PC.   ;)

Scotty Dog

Sorry about the picture issue.  I can't get photobucket to work for me.  something about my computer will not allow some things to work.  Also have trouble viewing video files.  On photobucket the download or upload option does not become available.  I can open my account and view my existing pictures in the file, but can't figure out why it will not prompt me to upload new pictures.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Scotty Dog on July 06, 2012, 11:11:34 PM
Sorry about the picture issue.  I can't get photobucket to work for me.  something about my computer will not allow some things to work.  Also have trouble viewing video files.  On photobucket the download or upload option does not become available.  I can open my account and view my existing pictures in the file, but can't figure out why it will not prompt me to upload new pictures.

Make sure you have the latest versions of Java and Adobe Flash installed; also make sure your browser has Java enabled. Also when you are at the home page, scroll to the bottom; under Support click on Help. That will take you to an area that can provide a ton of assistance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consooger

Quote from: KyNola on July 04, 2012, 08:27:33 AM
Molasses is what I use on pork butts.  I would think adding additional molasses to the butt midway through the cooking process could result in a sticky bark rather than a good chewable bark.

Since you asked how I make my butt bark, I find beer and pickled eggs does the trick for me! 8)

Oh come on, you knew somebody was eventually going to the obvious. ;) ;D

Molasses and Salt Lick Clone.....BEST BUTT I HAVE EVER MADE!!!!!!!

Thanks ALA Larry!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife