Smoked some sharp cheddar with oak.............

Started by 4given, July 04, 2012, 10:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

I hope it improves with age. Smells good. First bite is "hickory-like. It has an aftertaste I don't care for........... :-\
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

Taste like what?  ;) ;D   
This is what everyone says. Ive never licked one so I wouldnt know.
Mike

Up In Smoke

Quote from: 4given on July 04, 2012, 10:52:22 AM
I hope it improves with age. Smells good. First bite is "hickory-like. It has an aftertaste I don't care for........... :-\
how long did you apply smoke?
and how long has it aged so far?
If you tasted it right out of the smoker, that ashtray picture is accurate.
wrap it tight or vac seal it and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge in the back (outa sight outa mind)
and give it a couple of weeks to a month. it should come together quite nicely.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

rcger

After I smoke my cheese, I let it set and cool and then give it a little "wipe down".  Then I vaccuum seal it, refrigerate it and forget about it for a minimun of 4 months; 6 is even better.  Try that and I think you'll love it.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

muebe

Mike that ashtray picture looks to be from my mother's coffee table :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: muebe on July 04, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Mike that ashtray picture looks to be from my mother's coffee table :o
Oh my :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

4given

Sure glad my cigarette days are long gone.  :)

Yes I know age should help. I have already smoked some cheese with hickory and I liked the flavor even when it was fresh from the smoker. It got better with age. I have a wee bit left from my first hickory batch that is about 4 months old and REALLY good! It has even changed to a sort of brown color.

I smoked the oak batch for 2 hours.  The same day I smoked another batch for 2 hours using a 75% Alder/25% Hickory blend.  It is good with a palatable aftertaste but not as strong.

I will be taste testing both batches about once a week to see how it progresses.  I wlii be doing another batch using 100% Hickory in the next couple weeks.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Up In Smoke

Let us know how it turns out.
and if you need help deciding, i can send you my address  ::)
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Consooger

I wish i loved cheese! I will take everyone's word for it!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

4given

Quote from: rcger on July 04, 2012, 11:34:07 AM
After I smoke my cheese, I let it set and cool and then give it a little "wipe down".  Then I vaccuum seal it, refrigerate it and forget about it for a minimun of 4 months; 6 is even better.  Try that and I think you'll love it.

4 months!!! :o :o :o :o

I don't think I could do it!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

I have some smoked cheese that has been vac sealed for WAY over a year.  :)

Up In Smoke

Quote from: KyNola on July 07, 2012, 06:51:20 PM
Well since you ain't using it.....maybe a ups shipment this way would make more room for your pastrami  ;D ;D
Just sayin.
2 Bradley OBS

KyNola

Quote from: Up In Smoke on July 07, 2012, 07:27:11 PM
Well since you ain't using it.....maybe a ups shipment this way would make more room for your pastrami  ;D ;D
Just sayin.
I certainly appreciate your offer but between 2 refirgerators with their freezers and a chest freezer I think I'm good to go.  I hope so as I have about 10 pounds of cheese to cold smoke if the air temp ever gets below 90.  It was only 107 here today. :o  Temp inside the Bradley with no heat source at all was 101!

Consooger

Quote from: KyNola on July 07, 2012, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: Up In Smoke on July 07, 2012, 07:27:11 PM
Just sayin.
I certainly appreciate your offer but between 2 refirgerators with their freezers and a chest freezer I think I'm good to go.  I hope so as I have about 10 pounds of cheese to cold smoke if the air temp ever gets below 90.  It was only 107 here today. :o  Temp inside the Bradley with no heat source at all was 101!

more like cheeze wiz!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Tenpoint5

Quote from: 4given on July 07, 2012, 05:50:59 PM
Quote from: rcger on July 04, 2012, 11:34:07 AM

4 months!!! :o :o :o :o

I don't think I could do it!

4given Last year at the Midwest Smoke Out II I opened a package of 3yr old white cheddar that was smoked and vac sealed for an additional year. That stuff was like butter and was it ever good. I have some 8yr old Sharp Cheddar waiting for this years Smoke Out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!