Shiner Bock BBQ Sauce - 3 Versions

Started by Spliner, July 03, 2012, 02:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spliner

Can't get enough of this stuff.. first two are the original (from Chilli's) and an altered (not so spicy) version, third is my own version in development.  Enjoy.  All recipes have been doubled because I found the original recipes did not make enough for the usual amount of meat I put in the Bradley. Original will peel a slight layer of skin off your lips lol!  But boy is it good.  I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff, so others may like it.

Original Shiner Bock BBQ Sauce Recipe (Double Recipe) (Chilli's Version)

½ Cup Canned Chipolte Peppers in Abobo (Pureed)
½ Cup Mushroom Soy Sauce
2 Cups Tomato Paste
½ Cup Canned Chicken Broth
2/3 Cup Ketchup
½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Full Shiner Bock Beer (Bottled)
1 ½ Cup Malt Syrup
3 Cups Water
2/3 Cups Minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons Chilli Powder
¼ Cup Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
7 Cups Light Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt

Altered (not so spicy) Version

½ Cup Tomato Puree (Any kind you prefer) (Replaced the Chipolte Peppers in Abobo)
½ Cup Mushroom Soy Sauce
2 Cups Tomato Paste
½ Cup Canned Chicken Broth
2/3 Cup Ketchup
½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Full Shiner Bock Beer (Bottled)
1 ½ Cup Malt Syrup
3 Cups Water
2/3 Cups Minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons Chilli Powder
¼ Cup Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
7 Cups Light Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt

1. Puree the chipotle in adobo mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth and place 1/2 cup of the can in a medium sauce pot. (Or Tomato Puree if reduced heat version)
2. Add all liquid ingredients to sauce pot and whisk to mix thoroughly.
3. Bring sauce to a very slow simmer.
4. Stir occasionally. Add minced garlic and all of the dry ingredients, whisk to mix thoroughly.
5. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes to ensure the sauce doesn't stick or burn to the bottom of the pot.
6. Remove sauce from heat and baste onto ribs/pork/chicken/whatever.

My current version (developed from other recipes and with ingredients I could find easily - a work in progress):

Spliner's Shiner Bock BBQ Sauce:

1 Full Shiner Bock Beer (bottle)
2 Cups Heinz Ketchup
½ Cup Honey
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
6 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (Heinz)
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (Cut this in half if you don't like the vinegar taste as much)
2 ½ teaspoons garlic powder (or minced garlic)
2 ½ teaspoons onion flakes (or minced onion)
1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (go with 1/4 teaspoon if you like it mild, or replace with chilli powder)
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 pinches black pepper

Bring to a low boil on medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer about 30-90 minutes or until it thickens in a non-stick sauce pan. Stir with a plastic spoon to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Use immediately or double/triple/quadruple the recipe if you need more.  Refrigerate if you're going to use it later.  No clue if this has the correct acidity to can.  Likely none of these recipes do.

Notes: Sauce will never be 'thick' (my version) unless you simmer/reduce it for around 2 hours slowly.

If anyone alters these recipes and comes up with something good please share!

Spliner