Cure question ??

Started by SNIPERS215, July 08, 2012, 02:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNIPERS215

Newbie to the smoking world so sorry in advance.... but... If i was to use Jans rub or any other home made rub for jerky. Would i still have to add cure to the meat ? Is there a way to make that too ? or do you guys buy the cure seperate. I've only used hi-mt. seasoning so far. And it has the cure in in a packet.
YOUR BIGGEST ADVERSARY... HIDES IN THE MIRROR

GusRobin

Jan's rub or others are not a substitute for cure. You can buy cure #1 at places like sausagemaker.com and other sausage supply places.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Seasonings and  cure are totally different things. And any thing that is smoked ,cooked or dried in the 40 Degree to 140 Degree range for four or more hours definitively  needs it. As for making your own cure sure you can. But its not a recommended thing because it can be deadly. Cure is cheap and obtainable from so many places there is no reason to either. Now some make jerky with out it but i dont recommend it. Cheap insurance. Also high mountain is one of the favorites here. Be sure and read more here on it,as there is a ton of info. And if you use a recipe calling for cure be sure to do it. At least till you fully understand it. We all here push safety first in all things. Welcome to the site and have fun. And dont be scared to ask  any question any time. There are all ways people who will help.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Sorry Gus you were answering as I was too! LOL
Inside setup.

SNIPERS215

I've seen people write about cure #1 and #2. What's the difference ? And which do i need for things like jerky or poultry ?
And THANKS again.   ;D
YOUR BIGGEST ADVERSARY... HIDES IN THE MIRROR

nasels

From:  http://www.sausagemaker.com/frequentlyaskedquestions.aspx#cures

Why should I use cures?

Cures are primarily used to prevent botulism (food poisoning), as well as to impart flavor and some preservation to the sausage.  The nitrite combines with the pigment of the meat to form a pink color as well as to flavor the meat.  For example, a leg of hog, better known as the ham, when cooked or roasted is roast pork.  When the same piece is injected with cures, it them becomes a ham.

FRESH SAUSAGES ARE NEVER CURED! Only products that are smoked, cooked, or dry cured need a cure.

Which cure do I use--#1 or #2?

Insta Cure #1 is used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, and canning, and is also used when making jerky.  Meats requiring Insta Cure #1 would include poultry, fish, hams, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates, etc.

Insta Cure #2 is specifically formulated for dry cured products.  These products don't require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration.  Insta Cure #2 can be compared to the time-release capsules used for the common cold—the sodium nitrate first breaks down into sodium nitrite and then into nitric oxide to cure the meat over extended periods of time.

What is Insta Cure #1 made of?

Insta Cure #1 is made of a small amount of sodium nitrite on a salt carrier.  (1 oz. of sodium nitrite is mixed with 1 lb. of salt.)

What is Insta Cure #2 made of?

Insta Cure #2 is made of a small amount of sodium nitrite along with sodium nitrate and salt.  (1 oz. of sodium nitrite is mixed with .64 ounces of sodium nitrate to each pound of salt.)

How much cure do I use?

When mixed directly into the meat, 1 level teaspoon of cure should be used for every 5 lbs. of meat, whether it will be smoked or dry cured sausage.  If you are making a brine solution, like for a ham, use 4 ounces of cure for each gallon of water.

Which cure do I use when making jerky?

Insta Cure #1.

Can I reuse a brine?

No, brines cannot be reused.  The juice of the meat dilute the brine solution and it becomes contaminated with bacteria.

viper125

I agree except for how much! Always check the cure for about per lb. As the are all not the same.
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Many of us make our own cure mixes using cure #1, to make Canadian bacon, belly bacon, Buckboard bacon and a host of other cured meats; smoked or not. I've seem most using it in their homemade jerky mixes.

I'm not sure about the 4 hour rule of not smoking under 140°F for longer than that period of time; though I've seen it posted before. Generally if you are cold smoking (90°F or below) or hot smoking (100 - 180°F); you should use a cure. There are exceptions of course; such as if you are cold smoking for an hour or so, and keeping it out of the danger zone for too long. As a general rule you don't want to cook/smoke any uncured food under 200°F; or ground meat/sausage under 225°F; but again there are always exceptions.

The below link may have some additional information on some cures.
Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)