Considering a Bradley Smoker!

Started by damien2003gt, March 16, 2006, 12:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damien2003gt

Hey guys

Considering buying a Bradley smoker. I'm new tho the game but have had a fe3w positive smoking experiences on by gas grill.. Here is a couple pics of a beer in the ass chicken I did a few weeks back..

So the reason I'm looking a t the bradely is the whole set it and forget it aspect of electric. But the research I've done as of late seems to indicate the bradley is not all that consistant with temp regulation. Moreso for hot smoking or on cold days...

I guess what I'm asking is, if yo had to do it again, would you go with the bradley? Any tips or suggestions to help a newb out?

Arcs_n_Sparks

damien2003gt,

I would absolutely go with the Bradley again (of course, I made my own PID controller).

However, even prior to that, I found the Bradley easy to use. Once you get the temperature settled, it is pretty stable. I was very happy with it out of the box, and like the hands-off approach to smoking.

You've got some funny antenna at that bird prior to launch[8D]. The end products looks great!

Arcs_n_Sparks

IKnowWood

I am not sure about the new Bradley Digital products (no review as of yet) but the original systems are not "set it and forget it" out of the box.  A good number of us on this board have modified the setup with a PID or simple Temp Switch to acheive something as close as possible to "set it and forget it"  goals.

its not completely a "forget it" result.   there are optimization to make it better depending on what your cooking.

i did a chicken roaster this last weekend about the size you beer canned.  And i did set and forget for 4 hours.  I took it out at temp and FTC for three hours.   then pulled (still very hot) and shredded.  Tasted great and intensly moist.  And all I did was pull the roaster from the bag and into the smoker, period no rubs, injects, beer, baste NADA!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

gary_CO

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by damien2003gt</i>
<br />... if yo had to do it again, would you go with the bradley? Any tips or suggestions to help a newb out?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Absolutely.

No more timing timing your whole cooking routine to facilitate running out to the smoker and stoking wood every 30 minutes at some reasonable time of night. Or staying up till 4AM and hoping a shower wakes you up for the work day ahead.

Best lazy-que I've seen for temp control - right out of the box. I PID'd mine too and that makes it better. But it's not too shabby to begin with.

I've tried a bunch of set-it-and-forget things and I've not stayed happy with any of them. Best I ever had for lazyiness was an electric Brinkman water smoker and something called a smoke pistol. But the pistol gizmo was unreliable; and the Brinkman was a small, cheap, flimsy, filthy thing.

I'd love to have an Egg or one of the Traeger's(sp?) but that's like comparing apples to Ferraris.

The things that concern me:
- Wind. Being picky again. After having owned one, and examined its construction, you'd think it was pretty darned windproof. Wind does effect it, but I'd say less so than anything in its price range. Currently, the wind here is 35mph, gusting to 52!
- Replacement Parts. I've read a few posts here that imply parts are difficult to obtain after warranty expires. I just had a warranty part shipped and service was incredible. But I do wonder if I'll have problems 3 or 4 years down the road. It does sound like this is improving though.
- Proprietary wood supply. The "smoke pucks" aren't expensive and there available at numerous sources, but it sucks to know only one vendor is making them. I hope that would change if there was enough demand for a different one.

Habanero Smoker

Many on this board have found it rather easy to set the temperature. As for myself, without a temperature control device, I was adjusting the temperature at least once an hour, but that only required a walk to the porch to adjust a slider. Which is a simple task, but I am rather lazy, so I am constantly looking for a better way to do something. With my old charcoal smoker, I would constantly be either adjusting the draft, replenishing fuel and water. Even without the temperature control device, you will not find an easier smoker to operate.

If I were you I would wait for the newer digital models that will be released, which is expected sometime in May. They are supposed to control the temperature, the length of smoke, and I believe the cooking time. There is even a larger model with six selves.

If you can't wait and do not want to modify your smoker with a PID you can purchase a Raptor/Guru which is a temperature control device that make the Bradley almost set and forget it, but the cost is around $260.00 http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=26&idproduct=166 . The Guru can also be used in charcoal smokers, if you purchase a draft controller that is made for that specific charcoal smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

I live in illinois and the weather here has been in the 30 and lower .I have no problem with the temps staying steady at all .Maybe a slight adjustment once in a while but nothing crazy.The temps are no problem and i am sure with the new bs commimg out its going to be even easier then ever.If considering buy a new model see chez bubba sight to PREORDER A NEW BS 6 RACK...as his service is great fast and prompt.[:D][;)]

begolf25

I did a lot of searching and spent hours on forums like these before I made my purchase.  I was looking for a unit that would not require me to babysit and the bradley has worked out perfect.  I will be adding a PID to my unit with the help of TomG since I do find myself having to check the temp. and adjust the slide every so often.  

I live in an area that gets lots of wind.  There aren't many days that I don't have some type of breeze and you will just need to plan on adding some cook time.  There hasn't been a weekend since I got my Bradley that I haven't used it.  I will be making my second attempt at ribs this weekend.  The first attempt ended up as baby back jerky..lol

Good luck in your search.  I am glad mine ended with the purchase of a Bradley.

The Yard and Pool Company
Click here for our complete line of BRADLEY SMOKERS & ACCESSORIES
[email protected]

icerat4

I really think one vendor on this sight is more then enough.And since he has been here along time not only selling this product but putting his input into this sight i feel with the extra discounts from him makes him the right guy to go to.Chez bubba is the man here So can we please leave this ebay sales sight off all topics here.Kirk is always there when ya need him just call him up.Try calling ebay and get the answers ya need.Begolf25 one main vendor here is enough and he has done an outstanding job so take your ebay sales stuff on the road.This is just my opinion and i think theres much more value to buy from some who is well verst in this fourm and has a reputation of being there when needed.PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION....[;)]I think that a new guy such as begolf25 should look around here and see who is doing what and how and then ask permission to move in on somthing that was started long long before he came here.Once again just my opinion i am not trying to get into anyone face here but i just dont like what i see.[}:)][;)]

iceman

Damian,
I've made many smokers over the years and always end up coming back to the Bradley. I personally don't use the original cabinet but I do use the Bradley smoke generator on all of my smokers. There have been ups and downs with temperature control on the Bradley's but these are easily overcome with a little ingenuity (and help from all the folks on this forum). Long story short is I feel the Bradley is the route to go for most people. Nothing is ever going to get closer to a set and forget unit than the Bradley is in this price range. It does require a bit of attention but it's way ahead of other smokers in its class. It will probably turn out to be the best money you've ever  spent when it comes to a cooking appliance. Don't let the size fool you. They are capible of smoking a decent amount of food at one time. BTW they make one heck of a beer can chicken![:p] Whatever you decide good luck, happy smoking, and keep us posted.[8D]

icerat4

That chicken does look good besides the beer can deal what other steps did ya take to have it s color so nice .Did you rub it down with oil spices etc.what was the temp as it was cooking and how long and how many pounds was it.Please share the info .I never did one like that but this weekend when i am doing the ribs this will be on the grill.[:)]

begolf25

Icerat,
FYI, I did not just decide to add my link to this site.  I asked a administartor before doing so because I know what Chez has done for this site.  I was given permission and more then one reason why it was thought to be a good idea.  I have no problem removing this from my signature and I am not trying to steal sales from Chez.  I realize that people that have been on this forum for a long time will remain loyal customers to Chez but if you think there is a problem having a choice between to reliable dealers then as you stated is your opinion.  I don't think you have the right to accuse me of being unreliable just because I am currently on eBay.  I think my 544, 100% feedback speaks for itself.

The Yard and Pool Company
Click here for our complete line of BRADLEY SMOKERS & ACCESSORIES
[email protected]

icerat4

Ok .If you feel you need to this to someone who has provin them selfs here as a great person to deal with so be it.I just feel your infringing on somesone territory that has been well establish.If and when i do my purchasing of any thing i will check this ebay just too see whats out there and compare prices.If the  future bs buyers go that route then i say there yours but comming here even with the adim blessing is still a little crappie .Why because you know your takin away from someone who has once again establish them selfs here.Do what ya want but outa of respect here id be leavin the ebay sales pitch at the door here.I am not here to get in an up and back with you and ya seem like a nice enough guy but put the food on your table a different way and then have a nice day.Please dont have any hard feelings here on MY OPINION .Thanks for the time to share my thought here.Best of luck to ya and happy smoking.[:D][:D][:)]

begolf25

I am on this forum because of all the great information here.  This forum is the reason I decided to purchase a Bradley of my own and also helped me decide to carry it in my eBay store and my soon to be up and running web site.  I also carry many other items besides the Bradley that could be very useful to everyone on this site.  My website will have 10 time the backyard and BBQ items my eBay store does and I am sure many posters on here would have enjoyed seeing some of these items.  I am not going to make a living by having the link to my store on this forum my only intention was to pass on some savings to all the people that have helped me in the past and the present.

Chez, sorry if I stepped on your toes there was no intent to steal any sales or customers away from you.  I have even purchased items from you in the past..lol

Icerat, no hard feelings I just didn't like it when you decided to tag me as a eBay scam artist without even knowing me.  Next time just ask instead of throwing around opinion.

Back to smokin fellas!!

Bryan

manxman

I have purchased a couple of bits off Chez, I live across the pond in Britain and Chez went to so much trouble to send me some bubba pucks and even purchased a Maverick ET-73 from a third party and sent it to me.... no money in it for him but that's the sort of person he is. I would thoroughly recommend him to anyone and my BS displays the Chez Bubba "fridge" magnet with pride![}:)]

However in my view begolf25 is quite free to advertise his business here on the forum, quite a few members have something to sell and as has been discussed before, as long as everyone is up front about it and it does not dominate their posts it is not an issue. It's a free world and people are free to chose who they buy from.

It is the people who have come on the forum with an alterior motive who have had short shift and have soon disappeared, begolf25 was up front from the beginning and does not fit in this category.

At the end of the day we are all in the BS "family", I have owned a couple of smoker previously and for the money, the BS cannot be beaten in my view.

Manxman.
Manxman

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />I have purchased a couple of bits off Chez, I live across the pond in Britain and Chez went to so much trouble to send me some bubba pucks and even purchased a Maverick ET-73 from a third party and sent it to me.... no money in it for him but that's the sort of person he is. I would thoroughly recommend him to anyone and my BS displays the Chez Bubba "fridge" magnet with pride![}:)]

However in my view begolf25 is quite free to advertise his business here on the forum, quite a few members have something to sell and as has been discussed before, as long as everyone is up front about it and it does not dominate their posts it is not an issue. It's a free world and people are free to chose who they buy from.

It is the people who have come on the forum with an alterior motive who have had short shift and have soon disappeared, begolf25 was up front from the beginning and does not fit in this category.

At the end of the day we are all in the BS "family", I have owned a couple of smoker previously and for the money, the BS cannot be beaten in my view.

Manxman.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well said, Manxman.

Bubbagump