OBS Enclosure Vent ?

Started by bus33, July 09, 2012, 01:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bus33

I am going to build/buy an enclosure for my OBS.  This will not be in my garage or shed.  My question is related to venting the unit.  I searched and read a few previous threads on the subject.

If I just run a straight/angled pipe out the top/side of the enclosure, will the smoke flow out sufficiently?  Should I be concerned with moisture running back down the pipe into the smoker?  Do I need to put another vent in the lower portion of the enclosure (not the smoker) to allow air flow through the enclosure? 

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, 

mikecorn.1

I would imagine that it will all depend how long the run is and how many bends you have. Some here have installed a fan to help draw the moisture up and out.
I yield to those that have actually done it. Its raining at work and Im sitting in my work truck  ;D
Mike

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 09, 2012, 02:13:40 PM
I would imagine that it will all depend how long the run is and how many bends you have. Some here have installed a fan to help draw the moisture up and out.
I yield to those that have actually done it. Its raining at work and Im sitting in my work truck  ;D

Rain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whats that?  ???

bus33

No kidding on the rain comment...dry, dry, dry! 

The vent run won't be more than a foot with the plans I have drawn in my head. 

beefmann

here is what i have done ,, and  since added a  fan, been through a  few good  rains with no problems... if you  run  the vent pipe right to the smoker  just use a vent cap on top of the vent and you  should be  fine

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581.msg213170#msg213170

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on July 09, 2012, 03:09:39 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 09, 2012, 02:13:40 PM

Rain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whats that?  ???
Last year was horrible down here. We had burn bans and
Even canceled the 4th of July fireworks  Today it's been raining nonstop for 6 hours. 40 to 50 % chance all week. In the phone company we call that $$ from the sky. Forced overtime. Not a bad thing sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rexster

Two days later and it's still raining down here with me and Mike
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

mikecorn.1

Quote from: rexster on July 11, 2012, 10:23:40 AM
Two days later and it's still raining down here with me and Mike
No end in site either  :o
Mike

Indy Smoker

I would be careful with the fan so you don't draw out too much moisture.
I have a 4" pipe above my tower that carried the smoke straight up. There is a 6-4 reducer about an inch above the tower and a cap on the top to keep rain out. Worke great.

Jim O

I always leave an inverted aluminium pie plate just below the vent in the smoker,on an inverted rack, to catch any moisture that could drip in.

Works for me.

Jim o
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

squirtthecat

Quote from: Jim O on July 14, 2012, 12:10:06 PM
I always leave an inverted aluminium pie plate just below the vent in the smoker,on an inverted rack, to catch any moisture that could drip in.

Works for me.

Jim o

Yep.   Coffee filter (if you have the flat basket type) works PDG as well.