900 watt element wiring

Started by Alanfromwis, July 11, 2012, 05:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alanfromwis

I am considering changing to a 900 watt element & a PID. Have not had the back off my 4 rack digital to check wiring, & am wondering if the wiring is ok for higher wattage. Have not seen any threads on changing wiring for this mod. All comments will be appreciated.
  alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

muebe

I have a OBS and no problems with the existing wiring. I just had to add some high temp wire to extend the wiring in the cabinet.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

here is what i have  done, and  i use a pid and bypassed all of bradley wiring to the heater.

heater and blower
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.msg209917#msg209917

Pid

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25377.msg305356#msg305356

I would run some type of  fan with this unit . I  have cooked 25 lbs of brisket with this mod and  pid that was done in 16 hours or  so, IT was at  190 Pid Temp was set at  225  and box temp was at  225 for the last few hours though in the beginning of the cook was lower though higher  then the 500 watt element

TedEbear

Quote from: Alanfromwis on July 11, 2012, 05:41:44 AM
I am considering changing to a 900 watt element & a PID. Have not had the back off my 4 rack digital to check wiring, & am wondering if the wiring is ok for higher wattage.

I added a second element for a total of 1000W in my OB and the stock wiring to the first element carries the entire load just fine.  I just did a short loop from the first element to the second on each end.

Alanfromwis

Thank you beefmann & TedEbear
  That answers my question. Think I will get a element & Auber to make mod, then see how it goes before making a decision on fan. Thanks again.
alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

mikecorn.1

Little late but Ditto on TedBear's post. Also, a dremmel works wonders on the ceramics so that you can put the thicker high temp wire in between the two parts. It makes a nice fit when putting it back together. Less chance of breaking the ceramics when tightning the bolts.
Mike

sjmcdowall

So you think we can convince Bradley to make a "Professional" version using a 900W element and an Aubrey PID as standard?  Wonder why they haven't ...

nitrous

I've just tried my smoker after the winter period (only used it 2 or 3 times) and found that the smoker element works fine but the main is dead.  Tested with the Multimeter and found 110v coming out of the plug into the smoker box.

Bottom line is 1) where did you get the 900w element (am in Canada - Ontario) and 2) how frequently do the elements (original 500w) fail?  I worry that this might be a temperature limit switch that is causing the element to fail to heat.

I guess a final, off topic question is "anyone know where to get any element that would fit on a Sunday in the Greater Toronto Area?" :)  I'm going to 'cold smoke' the two racks of ribs I've got on for tonights dinner party and will finish either in the bbq or in the oven after smoking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug

GusRobin

I have had the original element and a second element installed since I bought it in Dec 2009 and have not had a failure (knock on wood)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SNIPERS215

Unfortunately for me ... There is absolutely no way i'd be able to do that . Don't have the tools or wiring knowledge to do it. I'll probably just have to keep buying 500 watt elements. Think i'll order some today that way i have them here if it goes. You guys are really good.
YOUR BIGGEST ADVERSARY... HIDES IN THE MIRROR

Tenpoint5

Quote from: nitrous on July 15, 2012, 08:37:26 AM
I've just tried my smoker after the winter period (only used it 2 or 3 times) and found that the smoker element works fine but the main is dead.  Tested with the Multimeter and found 110v coming out of the plug into the smoker box.

Bottom line is 1) where did you get the 900w element (am in Canada - Ontario) and 2) how frequently do the elements (original 500w) fail?  I worry that this might be a temperature limit switch that is causing the element to fail to heat.

I guess a final, off topic question is "anyone know where to get any element that would fit on a Sunday in the Greater Toronto Area?" :)  I'm going to 'cold smoke' the two racks of ribs I've got on for tonights dinner party and will finish either in the bbq or in the oven after smoking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug
Doug
If you give Bradley Customer Service a call they will send you a replacement. Have your serial number ready. During the manufacturing process there was a some bad elements. The moisture content in the lining of the element was too high. So it is basically a crap shoot as to when the moisture will condense enough to short out the element. Since the time that all of this transpired. Bradley has procured a new supplier of elements. The new element should be from the new supplier and should be good. Since switching suppliers the incidents of bad elements has dropped drastically.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!