What is the composition of a Bradley Bisquette?

Started by 4given, July 11, 2012, 06:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

When I buy a Bradley Hickory bisquette is it  100% Hickory (besides the binder) or is it blended with alder or oak?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

I cant find anything that tells me either way.
Here is a quote from the site "The secret to the Bradley Smoker are the Bradley smoker Bisquettes. To produce the bisquettes, hardwood smoker chips are bound together using precise quantities, at controlled pressures and densities". Its all good though  :)
Mike

Quarlow

I went past the factory yesterday. The guy was chipping wood like crazy. I happened to get stopped at the light right there. I have a weeks holidays coming soon and intend to take a tour of the new digs.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Ka Honu

You could always IM Brian to get his attention and ask him.

KyNola

I think we have had this question asked before and I think the answer is it is 100% flavorwood, no additions of other woods such as alder or oak.  I'm getting older and my memory is not as good as it used to be so if I am recalling incorrectly just blame it on me being a GOGDB*.

*a select few know what that stands for.  Some of us were labelled that a few years ago by another member. ;)

uno676

Has anybody ever made there own?

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk KD0SOK

Mountaineer

I recall getting a verbal answer from someone credible at an NRA show. Bradley had a booth there a couple of years ago. That person told me there were no additives.

The problem with making them on your own, as I see it, would be getting the right pressure and chip size to prevent swelling (Won't go through auto feed), and burn rate at 125 degrees to prevent bitterness.

Perhaps this is not rocket science and I am mistaken. They are a little pricy unless you can get the 120 count for less than $35.

Quarlow

Yes there has been a couple of folks who have tried making their own with some decent success. I can't remember who but you should be able to search it and find the info. I personally don't see the sense other than the accomplishment. When you figure the cost of Bradley pucks it cost you about $.68 and then when you consider you usually only smoke for 2 or 3 hrs that is only $6. And it is a lot easier than how dad and I would smoke. We had to go get the alder logs from my grampa's as he was a treetopper, bring them home cut them into disc's collect the sawdust, start the burner, feed the disc's and dust watch for fire, extinguish the fires, rebuild the UPS ugly plywood smoker) cause we didn't notice a fire,....well you get my point. And if you don't I am saying Bradley pucks are pretty cheap.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mow_delon

I used to use homemade pucks all the time.  I got a chunk of new exhaust pipe that was the same diameter as a bradley puck and cut it into rings the same thickness as a puck (had to be really careful to get the proper thickness, as too thin was just as bad as too thick).  Then I bronzed a bottom to the ring.  I have a router that I use fairly often, so I collected the router shavings from any oak or ash or maple that I was using and used that to fill the cups.  The shavings from a wood lathe work great also.  Works great, but I found 120 packs of pucks so I now only occasionally use them.  I will put 1 homemade cup for every 2 real pucks.  Have smoked with only the cups, but not very often.  Don't really remember if the flavor was any different than what I get mixing them.  If I think about it, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow of the cups if I think about it.