Gonna smoke pork cushions tonight!

Started by 4given, July 12, 2012, 11:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

I have been wanting to try pork cushions for pulled pork. I swung by Cash & Carry on my lunch hour (there is one 5 minutes fronm my work) and saw they have pork cushions of sale for $1.29 a pound! ;)

I figured now was a good time to give them a try! I will prep them and get them in the smoker right after work so stay tuned for pix & etc!

Isn't the cushion a part of the shoulder or butt?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

squirtthecat

From the BBQ Butcher forum.

"The "cushion" comes from the Pork Shoulder Picnic (or Arm), The picnic shoulder is more economical than the Boston Butt, but also contains more fat than the blade shoulder. When the bone and fat is trimmed from this cut it results in a very rich flavored roast. The meat from this cut is excellent for making juicy barbecued pulled pork. The Picnic has a large bone and joint that runs through the middle of the roast, one side has a large lean muscle...that is the "cushion". You can also slice and pound them for pork cutlets, stew meat, etc and use them in any chicken recipe."

4given

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

squirtthecat

Quote from: 4given on July 12, 2012, 11:33:15 AM
Squirt you ever used the cushions?

No I have not.  I've seen them at Restaurant Depot, but I didn't pick any up.

Habanero Smoker

As I mentioned in your other thread. The cushion is the long/tapered muscle located in the picnic. There are two main muscles in the picnic. I have not cooked them separate, but when I cook picnics I don't pull them but slice them. When I slice I separate the cushion after the picnic if fully cooked. For me the muscles in the picnic had a flavor more similar to fresh ham, the butt has a distinct taste of it's own, but many use the picnic for pulled pork and love it. The cushion is the leaner of the two muscles.

In the other thread, Mike provided a good link on how to cook them for pulling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

This is in your other thread
Pork Cushions vs. Pork Buttssee if you can catch it before it disappears from the screen ;D  ;D
Mike

4given

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 12, 2012, 01:06:56 PM
As I mentioned in your other thread. The cushion is the long/tapered muscle located in the picnic. There are two main muscles in the picnic. I have not cooked them separate, but when I cook picnics I don't pull them but slice them. When I slice I separate the cushion after the picnic if fully cooked. For me the muscles in the picnic had a flavor more similar to fresh ham, the butt has a distinct taste of it's own, but many use the picnic for pulled pork and love it. The cushion is the leaner of the two muscles.

I wonder if they used the Texas Crutch for moistness of to speed the cooking time?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

Quote from: 4given on July 12, 2012, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 12, 2012, 01:06:56 PM

I wonder if they used the Texas Crutch for moistness of to speed the cooking time?
Don't see why not. After the smoke is applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

4given

I decided to cook these cushions the same as I have done my pork butts so I can directly compare the two. I rubbed them with Jans and used veg oil for glue. I am not going to use a crutch. I am going to smoke with Bradley Hickory pucks for about 3 - 4 hours and leave them in the bradley untill I get an IT of about 195 - 200. I will FTC them for several hours.

OK Here are some PIX!  :)

Here is rhe label on one of the packages

8 little piggies.............

Rubbed and ready! Using Jans Rub!

In the smoker........ with Hickory pucks.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

mikecorn.1

That's gonna be good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Phatman

Those cushions look good. I'm excited to see how they turn out. Seems like I only see picnics in my area. Sweet scrolling marquee link corn1. You guys are all great.

4given

Well I goofed up last light.............. got in too big a hurry....

Notice in the picture of the Bradley how the cabinet power light is not on.............

I woke up this mornining checked my temps and the cab never got over 120.....  meat was 119.... the cabinet was not plugged in all the way. :(

It's plugged in all the way now :o :o I have my wife watching it. Should get up to temp quickly.

Sheesh.............  Too low and too slow.............
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

KyNola

I looked at the time stamp of your post showing the pic of the smoker and then checked the time stamp of your post where you indicated the power to the heating elememnt was not on at all.  It appears that between the two posts it was around 12 hours.

Maybe I am overreacting but to me 12 hours is a long time for that meat to have been in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees.  I'll certainly yield to the other members who are more knowledgeable than me but as for me, that causes me great concern.

standles

Quote from: KyNola on July 13, 2012, 07:15:39 AM
Maybe I am overreacting but to me 12 hours is a long time for that meat to have been in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees.  I'll certainly yield to the other members who are more knowledgeable than me but as for me, that causes me great concern.

I agree..   I would err on the cautious side and toss them.

Steven

squirtthecat

Quote from: standles on July 13, 2012, 07:47:07 AM
Quote from: KyNola on July 13, 2012, 07:15:39 AM

I agree..   I would err on the cautious side and toss them.

Steven

Call me an overreact-er as well, but I would toss them in the trash. 

Don't fret, it's happened to all of us one time or another....