Got hired out, NEED HELP!!!!!

Started by Consooger, July 13, 2012, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

SO I'm in no way shape or form an expert smoker BUT my future father in law and the rest of his family absolutely loves the work I do. So much he went to the the people at his company who handles company functions and recommended me to do some food for their mid summer luncheon. Needless to say I have been mulling over whether or not I want this to be a career choice doing this full time and regardless how I go I need some straight up advice on how to handle this. I am cooking butts for 60-70 people for a fortune 500 company. Lunch is going to last 2-3 hours and people can come back for seconds throughout the day. How many butts for this many people is my question. I;m thinking at least 4. I'm going to supply some home made vinegar mopping sauce and bbq sauce as well and possibly that banging creole corn that I read about a few days ago.

Any help would be awesome. I don't wanna mess this up.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

squirtthecat

I always aim high, and start with 1 pound raw per person.  You might have lots left over, but that is better than the alternative.   :o

So, at least 6-7 decent sized (8-10 lb) butts.

I would do them well in advance.   2 loads of 3-ish butts each.    Pull and vacuum seal in 3-4 pound quantities, so you can reheat the day of the luncheon in a roaster full of water.   When it is time to serve, cut the bags open and serve in a chafing pan or something like that. (or back in the roaster after you dump the water out)   You can leave a bag or 2 sealed and cut it open if necessary. Otherwise just refreeze it if you like.

My 2 cents.    :D

Hedlyna

Yeah what he said. You definitely don't want to run out if you're considering a career....seems like they gave you great opportunity to get your name out there. I would do a good bit extra.

Adam

Consooger

So are you saying seal and freeze until needed or refrigerate?

This is the issue, I DO NOT WANT TO RUN OUT, I want to have left overs if necessary, plus it will look great for my future father in law!  8)
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Up In Smoke

Squirts got you on point, you can figure 3 good sandwiches per pound, what kind of sides do you have in mind?
you can find some really good information on our recipe site as far as sides go.
and there will be more along with more help.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hedlyna

Depends on how far in advance you're making them. I sauce mine before sealing and the next two days it keeps getting a better taste to me. Plus the flavor from the bark gets in the rest of the meat. If you freeze you won't get all of that goodness.

Adam

Consooger

The date for this is July 25th. I am making 3 different sauces for this for on the side. This luncheon they have people bringing covered dishes as sides and such so the pork is the main dish. I just got off the phone with my mom and she makes a BANGING cole slaw (from what I'm told) I wouldn't know because I hate the stuff. As for extra on the side I am making the creole corn I think and that's it.

That's all I have for now. I was just asked about this yesterday.

John
               -My Wife

Hedlyna

There is a great barbecue place up the road from in Deep Creek Lake MD...they do a smoked macaroni and cheese that's really good. Not too smoky, just a hint.

Adam

Consooger

you said the cheese word.... YUCK!
               -My Wife

Hedlyna

Lol, most people like said word

Adam

Up In Smoke

John,
If you make them far enough in advance and vac seal as squirt mentioned you can freeze them if you need to.
take them out a day or two before the event and put them in the fridge to thaw.
some really good majic happens when they are thawing out  :D its almost like it makes its own marinade.
then into a warmer the day of the event and away you go!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

I also freeze mine when i make an 8lb butt for my family of 4  ;D.  In my case I freeze in portions enough for us to eat a couple of times. Vac sealed. We place the bag in a pot of warm water and bring it up to temp slowly. Works great. Stays very moist and Im not adding anything else that would alter the flavor.
Thats just what I do.  :) 
Mike

KyNola

Let's think through this a little further.  Where will the luncheon be held?  Will you have access to a kitchen facility?  Do you have chafing dishes in which to keep everything warm if the event is going to last 2-3 hours and folks can back anytime they wish?  Do you have appropriate serving pieces?

This is a much bigger project than just smoking up a bunch of butts, setting it out and cracking open a beer. You're doing this for a Fortune 500 Company and it just happens to be where your future father in law works.

All I'm saying is make certain you have everything you need for such an ambitious cook.

I hope I haven't offended you John.

Consooger

Larry,

My brother you and I think alike. Basically the way this is going is this. I haven't heard whether or not this is outdoors or indoors. I really do not know any specifics yet as to what the set up is except I was asked t do the pork. As for the serving it's a buffet style and I have big warmer roasting pans to put the pork in. As for serving equipment I went to the local restaurant store today and picked up tongs and spoons and such for this as well to keep for myself. Other than that that's all the info I have.

You did not offend me at all. I follow much that you do and listen to you with an open mind!

John
               -My Wife

Ka Honu

Good advice above.  First thing I'd do is plan it all out - make a checklist of everything you need to get and everything you need to do and transfer it all to a "reverse planning" calendar going backwards from the 25th.  Pencil in the tasks you need to accomplish on each day (and what someone else has to do to support you).  Some points (many already covered above) to consider:

As you already know, one pound raw pork butt will give you about 8-10 ounces of pulled.  That makes 2-3 pretty good-sized sandwiches.  Unless it's an all-male, really hungry crowd, very few people will want more than that and most won't eat that much so 70 pounds of butt will be more than enough without being too much.

Make them well ahead, pull, seal (with juices), and thaw a day or so ahead to reheat on game day. 

Best way to reheat is slowly and be careful not to let it dry out.  Might want to keep some leftover drippings (defatted) or apple juice available to add if needed.

Beg Mom make the slaw - it pretty much has to be made the morning of the event (or it will separate and/or get soggy) and that much slicing and mixing will be more than you want to deal with that day.

Make the sauces ahead also - aging a few days in the fridge always helps.

As KyNola says, make sure you have the stuff you need and a way to get all that stuff on site when you need it.  This may include serving dishes and utensils as well as knowing who's providing plates & flatware, beverages and cups/glasses, paper goods, decorations, ice, etc.  Even if you're not responsible for all those things, you should know who is and make sure they'll have the stuff you need where and when you need it there.

Slap your future FIL upside the head for volunteering you and then have a good time showing everyone how smart he was.