Got hired out, NEED HELP!!!!!

Started by Consooger, July 13, 2012, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

If you freeze it do not add the bbq sauce until after it is warmed.

SiFumar

If you are supplying the buns also.....make sure you place an order at your wholesale store for pick up no earlier than the day before the event, preferably the day of.  Buns get stale quickly!

squirtthecat

Buns!  I'd look at some dinner roll/slider type things. (we call them 'Dollar Rolls' here) Maybe those King's Hawaiian sweet rolls if your budget allows.

Smaller buns equal not-so-much-meat-consumed-and-less-waste-if-they-can't-eat-it-all and they can come back for 2nds and 3rds and try different sauces..

Again, my 2 cents.  ;)

SiFumar

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 13, 2012, 05:24:13 PM

Buns!  I'd look at some dinner roll/slider type things. (we call them 'Dollar Rolls' here) Maybe those King's Hawaiian sweet rolls if your budget allows.

Smaller buns equal not-so-much-meat-consumed-and-less-waste-if-they-can't-eat-it-all and they can come back for 2nds and 3rds and try different sauces..

Again, my 2 cents.  ;)

Your 2 cents are always worth at least a Buck!! ;D  I just mentioned buns cause no one had. Even if you get the small ones you will need to figure how many and place an order for that many people.

rajzer

Rather than making it ahead of time and freezing, which greatly compromises the taste of any food, make everything the day before and simply rewarm taking care not to dry it out.  Make 1lb. per person,  there is nothing worse than running out.  I'm sure the left overs will not be wasted.  That is when you can them and freeze them, or better yet, offer them to the guests to take home.  Pulled pork is quite durable.

GusRobin

Quote from: rajzer on July 13, 2012, 07:01:33 PM
Rather than making it ahead of time and freezing, which greatly compromises the taste of any food, make everything the day before and simply rewarm taking care not to dry it out.  Make 1lb. per person,  there is nothing worse than running out.  I'm sure the left overs will not be wasted.  That is when you can them and freeze them, or better yet, offer them to the guests to take home.  Pulled pork is quite durable.
Don't know what type of smoker he is using but 6-7 butts (70#) is going to have to start earlier than the day before.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Let me toss this in.

I have done 3 smokeout bbq's. True not nearly that many people as yours. When i usd my Bradleys in conjunction with my Traeger, UDS and MAK, I started smoking the butts, brisket 2 weeks b4 the date.

Yes you can make, vac seal and freeze without loosing any of the bbq and smoke taste. I have had smoked pulled pork vac sealed in freezer for 6 months and its good like i just made it

Take advise from some of the folks here that have been using their Bradleys and other smokers for years.

You dont want to rush and have some meat under prepared that could make someone ill?

Good luck and take pics

4given

Consooger, You don't like cheese and you don't like cole slaw. I am worried about you buddy. Have you seen a doctor?

Next thing you know you will tell be you have an aversion to pie & ice cream!  ;D ;D ;D

Just joshin ya! Everybody doesn't like something! I don't like..... what is it I don't like???? Can't remember....... :-\ :-\ :-\

BTW Congrats on the job. You can do it! ;)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

TedEbear

Quote from: Consooger on July 13, 2012, 01:20:31 PMI am cooking butts for 60-70 people for a fortune 500 company. Lunch is going to last 2-3 hours and people can come back for seconds throughout the day. How many butts for this many people is my question.

I smoked some butts for a party a few weeks ago for my wife's co-workers.  It was my first time for a large group and I didn't know how many to cook, especially whenever I asked my wife how many people would show up she said around 20-50 (quite a difference).

I ended up smoking 4 butts, 6-8 lbs each, and had maybe one pan left after it was all over.  However, there were lots of other brats, hot dogs and burgers that someone else brought.  If my pulled pork had been the only meat it probably would have been all gone.  We estimated that around 35 people came and went throughout the day.

If you're going to be doing 6-7 butts you might consider some sort of rapid pork puller unless you want to spend a looooong time pulling all that.  It used to take me 10-15 minutes per butt with my Bear Claws.  Now I can pull 4 butts in about 5 minutes with my Roman Pork Puller.   :)  There's more than one version of this at a slightly lower price if you do a little Google searching.

Consooger

So I got more info on this gig. Lunch starts around 11:30 and goes til 2:30. It is going to be outdoors. The only thing I am supplying is the pork and I am bringing a few gallons of home made bbq sauce I've done up and some home made cole slaw. I am going to have these heated up in big electric warming/roasting pans that way they will stay warm throughout the luncheon. They are supplying all other dishes and the rolls for the sandwiches. I am thinking or doing 6 butts. I am going to do 3 salt lick butts with molasses and 3 other butts with a more milder rub, thinking shigs in pitt or even Jan's Rub. I'm going to start smoking these mid week and have the other 3 done by next Wednesday. I just ordered a roman pork puller for this as well. I figured why the heck not.

This is all I have on this right now. More to come soon!

Thanks again for all the ideas and insight on this from everyone!

This place truly is great!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Consooger

Quote from: 4given on July 14, 2012, 06:23:11 AM
Consooger, You don't like cheese and you don't like cole slaw. I am worried about you buddy. Have you seen a doctor?

Next thing you know you will tell be you have an aversion to pie & ice cream!  ;D ;D ;D

Just joshin ya! Everybody doesn't like something! I don't like..... what is it I don't like???? Can't remember....... :-\ :-\ :-\

BTW Congrats on the job. You can do it! ;)

HAHAHAHHAH NOPE I do love ice cream and pie!!!!!!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Hedlyna on July 13, 2012, 01:56:20 PM
Depends on how far in advance you're making them. I sauce mine before sealing and the next two days it keeps getting a better taste to me. Plus the flavor from the bark gets in the rest of the meat. If you freeze you won't get all of that goodness.
Adam

If your going to be soaking your pulled pork with sauce. There is no need to waste your time and energy smoking it in any type of cooker. Just make the pork in an oven. Your just going to hide/mask all the smoke flavoring that you worked so hard to get with sauce anyhow.

Make sure you have several bottles of apple juice and a shaker of your rub on hand with you. As the time passes the pork around the edges of your roaster will dry out from being heated. Pour some apple juice over the whole thing, then sprinkle some more rub over everything and mix it all together. By doing this you are adding back in the moisture lost in the heating process and you are adding more of your flavoring to the batch. A light sprinkle of the rub is all you need. Your nut rerubbing the butt. Also bring a 1/2 cup measuring cup, it makes a great scoop for making sandwiches all a uniform size. I am guessing you will be making the sandwiches and handing them to the people. Don't forget the disposable plastic gloves for serving, so the food police don't get you they will be watching.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 15, 2012, 07:01:40 AMIf your going to be soaking your pulled pork with sauce. There is no need to waste your time and energy smoking it ...

True that.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 15, 2012, 09:13:03 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 15, 2012, 07:01:40 AMIf your going to be soaking your pulled pork with sauce. There is no need to waste your time and energy smoking it ...
True that.
Ditto dat!

Consooger

no soaking with sauce, will be smoked and pulled and if they want sauce they will have plenty to chose from.

John
               -My Wife