Very disturbing sight last night

Started by PrairieSailor, July 18, 2012, 07:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrairieSailor

Howdy,

My last smoking was almost 2 months ago, and last night I decided to check out the smoker in preparation for this weekend.  I opened the door and found all sorts of small flying bugs...something like a fruit fly.  I was horrified :o  The V tray, and pan had been cleaned after the last use, but I guess there was still enough build-up inside to attract bugs.  Now I don't know what to do.  Should I clean EVERYTHING and try to sterilize?  God, I don't even want to think how much work it will be cleaning all the walls. 

I was so disgusted I don't know what to think!  Food and bugs....yuk!

squirtthecat

I'd put the racks/pan/v-tray/bowl in the dishwasher, and then wipe down the walls and door with a vinegar/water solution.   Don't use EZ-Off or anything like that.

Get the door seal and around the bottom as well.

Fire it up as hot as it will go and re-season it again before use.

Next time you close it up for a while, make sure the vent is closed, or cover it with something to keep the critters out...

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hedlyna

They'll just add a little protein.....eat'em up

Adam

OU812

Use it more often and that wont happin.  ;D

I'll go back to my corner now.

Oh Ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what Squirt said.

beefmann

agrees with the above, and if you  have a  steam cleaner, might hit it with it as well as added cleaning

Quarlow

Quote from: beefmann on July 18, 2012, 02:20:31 PM
agrees with the above, and if you  have a  steam cleaner, might hit it with it as well as added cleaning
ditto what he said and what they said. I keep mine in the corner in the kitchen. No bugs and we catch a whiff off it once in a while which we love.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Ditto what all dem other profeshuuunuls said...

And wipe the outside down with pure vanilla extract (flying critters HATE that stuff).
The effect wears off in about an hour, but they won't get anywhere near it while it's fresh.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

PrairieSailor

Quote from: hal4uk on July 18, 2012, 09:12:32 PM
Ditto what all dem other profeshuuunuls said...

And wipe the outside down with pure vanilla extract (flying critters HATE that stuff).
The effect wears off in about an hour, but they won't get anywhere near it while it's fresh.

Very interesting...good to know!

Thanks guys, I've put the racks, tray, etc through the sanitize run in the dishwasher and cleaned the rest a bit.  I haven't wiped the actual walls, hoping when I heat it up nicely it will kill anything else.

Just not a good feeling!