Loooooong cold smoke bacon, which flavor wood????

Started by Consooger, July 19, 2012, 05:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Quick question for anyone who has triple smoked bacon. I have 10 lbs of bellies that I am cold smoking tomorrow. Going to do a 12-14 hour smoke. I was thinking about doing 60% maple and 40% hickory. Not sure I wanted to go straight with one of these. Has anyone else mixed these 2 times with a long smoke like this?

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

That should work. I've haven't mixed my woods, and I prefer to use apple, if I don't have that I will go with maple, or my final choice is pecan. I'm not sure how you are planning to smoke the bacon. I generally use 9 hours of cold smoke over a three day period, and only using 3 hours of cold smoke each day. I usually have two racks free, so while applying the smoke to the bacon, I will also smoke salt, cracked black peppercorns, cheese or other foods that can be cold smoke during that three hour period each day. I try to time my smoke so that it is completed before sunrise.

Here is how I make mine:
Triple Smoked Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consooger

I saw this recipe yesterday and was considering trying this however I do not have this planned out over 3 days. I was planning on using a device "that doesn't exist" and start the cold smoke around 5 pm this evening and let it go all the way through the night into tomorrow morning. Temperatures are supposed to be in the low to mid 70's during the day and drop down to the 60's in the evening.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

The method you are using, I would not consider triple smoked bacon. For triple smoke you need a period of time between the applications of smoke.

There is a thread in which someone did something similar to what you are going to do. I can't recall who and couldn't find the thread. I don't follow all threads so I don't know the outcome either.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consooger

That's where I got the idea from. I have it in now, the temperatures are good, bacon looking good so far. I'm going to follow that recipe all the way til the end. In the unfortunate event that it turns our bad (which I don't think it will) I will grab more belly. My butcher is selling it at $2.29 a lb with skin on or off.

I'll keep everyone updated. I'm also going to try your recipe as well and compare them.

Thanks Habs!
               -My Wife