BT1S1 temp not getting above 205

Started by lepps50, July 20, 2012, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepps50

I have used by BT1S1 about 12 times since purchasing.  Does matter what I smoke the temp never gets beyond 205, even when smoker is in full sun?  Anyone have suggestions?  :(

Tenpoint5

Sounds like you may have the vent closed down to far. Thus trapping in all of the moisture and holding you temps down
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lepps50

I have the vent on the top wide open.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kahunas

Are you reading the door thermometer or do you have a remote in the smoker below the meat?
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

lepps50

yes I am using an extension cord and also using a Maverick external temp gage.

TedEbear

Quote from: lepps50 on July 20, 2012, 08:31:30 AM
yes I am using an extension cord

Aha!  An extension cord chokes the power to the heating element.  I believe it says in the owner's manual to not use them.

lepps50

ok - will try without cord this weekend.  What should I see/exspect for high temp?  with food and without?  thanks

Kahunas

One more thing, I almost hate to ask but is the temperature slider all the way to the right?

Habanero Smoker

What is the highest temperature you get when you run the smoker empty? Where are you placing the probe in relation to the food? Compared to others on this board, are you cook times longer, or just about the same as others for the same types of food?

Also play around with the vent setting. Try a setting 1/2 - 3/4 opened, and see it that doesn't improve your cabinet temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lepps50

Plugged my smoker directly into out let and turned on, heated up to 250+ with vent wide open.  Must have been the extension cord draining power?  Does anyone know of an alternative on pwer cords?

Kahunas

Quote from: lepps50 on July 23, 2012, 06:12:46 AM
Plugged my smoker directly into out let and turned on, heated up to 250+ with vent wide open.  Must have been the extension cord draining power?  Does anyone know of an alternative on pwer cords?
Shortest heavy gauge extension cord you can find. Either 10/3 or 12/3 and as short as possible.