Pork Chop Brining?

Started by wkahler, December 27, 2013, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

I am looking to try and brine some chops again but every time i brine them it seems to be salty.  What is the average time u guys use to bring bone in chops from a fresh hog.  I tend to do it over night and they are salty when i smoke/grill them.  Thinking i need to cut back the bring time to maybe 8-12 hours or maybe less?  Also does anyone have a basic brine they would to toss in the post for simple juicy pork chops. 
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Habanero Smoker

If they are individually cut, depending on their thickness and the amount of salt in your brine, you should only brine 1 - 3 hours.

Do not pack them too tight in the container, or if they seem crowded you should overhaul every 30 minutes or so; which is to reposition the meat and stir the brine. Also give them a quick rinse after removing from the brine.

A basic brine would be:

1 gallon water
1/2 Cup non-iodized table salt (about 5 ounces)
1/4 white granulated sugar (optional)

From there you can add your herbs and/or other seasonings if you wish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wkahler

Ok i will try for that Hab's thanks for the idea.  I have been using a pre packaged brine and the pork chops are pre cut 1" thickness. 

Habanero Smoker

The basic recipe is slightly modified from Cook's Illustrated that I have used on a few occasions with very good results. In their brine table they are brining 1 1/2" thick chops. They only use an hour, but I would at least double that time for chops. 

I should have mentioned you don't have to make a gallon to brine chops.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wkahler