BABY BACK RIBS

Started by angela11569, July 21, 2012, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angela11569

HELLO ALL......FIRST TIME USING MY BRADLEY 4 RACK SMOKER...

DRY RUB OVER NIGHT
HEATED SMOKER TO 200 DEGREE ( 5HRS)
SET SMOKE FOR 2 HRS. (HICKORY)
AT 4HRS SPRAYED APPLE JUICE AND OLIVE OIL THEN WRAPPED IN FOIL FOR THE LAST HOUR
AT HOUR 5 TOOK RIBS OUT AND PLACED THEM IN MY BBQ FOR A 1/2 HR AND APPLIED BBQ SAUCE.

END RESULT......THEY TASTED GREAT HOWEVER, SEEMED A LITTLE DRY. I WAS HOPING THEY WOULD FALL OFF THE BONE A LITTLE BETTER.......

BRING ON THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE......THANKS

Ka Honu

Generally folks will smoke ribs for about 3 hours, then wrap them in foil (with maybe a little butter & brown sugar or some apple juice) for 2 more, and then finish without foil for about an hour (with or without sauce during the last stage).  One of the members (10.5) has an excellent tutorial on this "3-2-1" method here.  With BBRs, many change the technique to 3-1-1.

Consooger

I go 3-1-1 and they are never dry. Moist as can be!

Welcome!!!!!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Up In Smoke

These guys have you covered..
Welcome aboard.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

3-2-1 is a good method. You can also go 3-2-.5   It's a guide. The longer you leave them naked at the end, the more they will stiffen back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 22, 2012, 05:38:20 AMThe longer you leave them naked at the end, the more they will stiffen back up.

That's what she said.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 22, 2012, 07:39:13 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 22, 2012, 05:38:20 AMThe longer you leave them naked at the end, the more they will stiffen back up.
That's what she said.
Paul beat me to the punch this time! ;D

SamuelG

Quote from: KyNola on July 22, 2012, 07:40:56 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on July 22, 2012, 07:39:13 AM
That's what she said.
Paul beat me to the punch this time! ;D

:) :) :)
SamuelG

Up In Smoke

;D ;D He said Beat  ;D ;D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

angela11569

U GUYS ROCK....THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. THIS SMOKER FORUM IS COOL. GONNA TRY EITHER PULLED PORK OR BRISKET NEXT...

KyNola

With the cap lock off. ;)

chiroken

As many said....3-2-1. I only do the last stage for 1/2 hour to keep the ribs more soft rather than firming up. I end up doing 3-2.5-0.5, same 6 hr total.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

amatasjr

Hey fellas, planning on using the 3-2-1 method for some baby backs. The only problem is that I have an hour drive after they are finished What do you guys recommend for the drive. FTC? Or will FTC mess with the sauce/texture of the ribs? Also, should I pull them prior, or when we get to the house? Thanks, merry Christmas!

KyNola

Lots of variables in your question.  First thing is 3-2-1 on baby back ribs may be excessive unless you want fall off the bone meat.  You run the risk of having very mushy meat texture.  I would try more like 2-2-1 at 225 degrees.  As for an FTC for an hour, that is what I would do.  Lastly, I don't understand your question about "pulling" them prior or when you get to the house? If you are referring to separating the individual ribs I would wait until you get to your destination.

amatasjr

Sounds good Kynola. I'll follow your suggestion at 2-2-1. The "1" includes saucing them uncovered, right?  Then I can FTC for an hour. Yeah, I guess "pulling" was the wrong word. Meant separate. Thanks again