smoking frozen meat

Started by viper125, July 26, 2012, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Ok I found two more hams in fridg. Not enough time to cure so figure maybe more pulled pork. Unless someone knows how to inject and cure frozen hams. LOL Figured to start the smoker to say 230 degrees then insert hams maybe wait a couple hours to start smoke. After smoking put in oven at 350 and finish. Any ideas or tips. I have the duel element and fan. The hams are about 7-8 lbs. And hard as a rock. Never cooked frozen meat before so this experiment is to see the difference and rush the product.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

rajzer

I wouldn't do that.  Its going to ke a long time for the meat to thaw and even longer to reach 160 IT.  The hams are not cured and will be in the danger zone way too long.  Thaw them out overnight.

Up In Smoke

Viper,
I have seen members here do turkey boulders from frozen, but do not remember the temp they were cooking at.
i have done brisket from frozen, but not on the Bradley so i won't be much help.
hang on for a bit i am sure someone with knowledge will be along to help you out.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Keymaster

I always wondered about cooking frozen meat so I went Here and found this little snippit which made me feel a whole lot better:
Cooking Frozen Foods
Raw or cooked meat, poultry or casseroles can be cooked or reheated from the frozen state. However, it will take approximately one and a half times as long to cook. Remember to discard any wrapping or absorbent paper from meat or poultry.

When cooking whole frozen poultry, remove the giblet pack from the cavity as soon as you can loosen it. Cook the giblets separately. Read the label on USDA-inspected frozen meat and poultry products. Some, such as pre-stuffed whole birds, MUST be cooked from the frozen state to ensure a safely cooked product.

LOOK FOR THE USDA OR STATE MARK OF INSPECTION

The inspection mark on the packaging tells you the product was prepared in a USDA or State-inspected plant under controlled conditions. Follow the package directions for thawing, reheating, and storing.
I like the fact that they tell you it will take 1-1/2 tmes longer to cook.

Tenpoint5

If they is vac sealed soak them in cold water for a couple of hours to start them thawing, then roll the smoke and set the temp at 250. That's the temp I cooked the turkey boulder at. It was cooked in a pellet grill not a Bradley. If you can get the heat up to 250 and hold it there. One would think you should be OK. Your cooking at 250 which is out of the danger zone.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

Ok well I knew I had seen people do butts this way. Ive been thinking soaking as you suggested then cranking Bradley up to 230-240 Doesn't the sensor cut it out at 250 or so? Then after 3-4 hours of smoke throwing in the oven at 350 to finish. think that would work ok? Not sure how high i can hold the bradley with that much frozen meat. But should be safe as long as the smoker stays above 140 right?
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

It should be alright following your plans viper. The high temp sensor doesn't cut out until 300 if I remember right

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SamuelG

Quote from: viper125 on July 26, 2012, 08:24:36 PM
Ok well I knew I had seen people do butts this way. Ive been thinking soaking as you suggested then cranking Bradley up to 230-240 Doesn't the sensor cut it out at 250 or so? Then after 3-4 hours of smoke throwing in the oven at 350 to finish. think that would work ok? Not sure how high i can hold the bradley with that much frozen meat. But should be safe as long as the smoker stays above 140 right?

Put some very hot water in a pan and in the bowl... Pre heat as much as possible. It will be fine.
SamuelG

viper125

Thanks guys for info and support. Can always count on you!
Inside setup.

Ka Honu

Quote from: viper125 on July 26, 2012, 08:24:36 PM... throwing in the oven at 350 to finish. think that would work ok?

I just don't like doing butt or shoulder that hot although I know lots of people who do it (and do it well).  If I were going to do it, I'd be inclined to finish one in the crockpot.  Then pull and mix the two.  The crockpot one will have lots of drippings which you can (defat and) mix in to replace any moisture lost in the hot oven.

Up In Smoke

Viper,
In addition to the hot water in the water bowl, maybe wrap a couple of bricks in foil and put them on the bottom while preheating, this is a good trick in the colder weather to help the smoker recover from a door opening.
My thought is that it would help battle the cold from the meat and help get you out of the danger zone faster.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 26, 2012, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: viper125 on July 26, 2012, 08:24:36 PM... throwing in the oven at 350 to finish. think that would work ok?

I just don't like doing butt or shoulder that hot although I know lots of people who do it (and do it well).  If I were going to do it, I'd be inclined to finish one in the crockpot.  Then pull and mix the two.  The crockpot one will have lots of drippings which you can (defat and) mix in to replace any moisture lost in the hot oven.

Mister Turtle your at the wrong end of the beast, your at the rooter. Viper is doing Green Hams they back by the Tooter ;D

Up In Smoke

QuoteMister Turtle your at the wrong end of the beast, your at the rooter. Viper is doing Green Hams they back by the Tooter ;D
ROFLMAO!!
2 Bradley OBS

muebe

I have smoked butts from a frozen state before without any issues. As long as the temp is above 180F IMHO it should be fine.

I would not go too high on the temp while thawing though. Otherwise the outside will get over done by the time the internal temp reaches your target. I like to leave mine in at 200F in the pellet smoker until thawed and then bump up the temp.

It does take longer to finish but if you add the thaw time in the fridge it is much shorter overall.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 27, 2012, 04:56:56 AMMister Turtle your at the wrong end of the beast...

Sorry - it's just that all you mammals look the same.