Duck Confit, Anyone?

Started by Rxmar23, July 31, 2012, 08:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxmar23

I thought I'd post this here, since it's sort of like smoking -- low and slow -- but sort of not.

I did a nice batch of duck confit last night. Like a pulled pork, started at 9:00 last night, and finished at 2:00 or so today. Since I did a pork butt last Saturday/Sunday, I was thinking about that while "pulling" the duck this afternoon, and wondering if any fellow smokers also enjoyed duck confit.

There are a lot of fancier uses for it, but I'll tell you, there's not too much better than mac and cheese with duck confit on top.

Habanero Smoker

It's one of the things on my to do list, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've never had duck confit over mac & cheese and will eventually try it, but lobster mac & cheese may give that dish a run for it's money.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

I'm not a mac and cheese fan but in a cassoulet it is marvelous stuff on a late fall or winter day.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 3rensho on August 01, 2012, 03:00:12 AM
I'm not a mac and cheese fan but in a cassoulet it is marvelous stuff on a late fall or winter day.

Another thing added to my to-do list!!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rxmar23

This may be the first time I've heard the phrase "I'm not a mac and cheese fan."  :o I love cassoulet, but have never made it; that's now on my list.

The confit is also great in a grilled cheese sangwich, thrown on top of a salad (warm or cold), or just on some nice slices of baguette. Back when I was still dating, I once made confit nests with risotto eggs (reshaped arancini), if you want something on the showy side.

ACW3

I had duck confit in France earlier this year.  First time.  WOW!!!

After returning home I started looking into a homemade smoked version.  I ended up amking a pork belly confit.  Actually took several days, and I did smoke it before finishing it up.  I left the skin on the belly and then cut it off after smoking it.  Now I had two things to finish, the confit and some serious chicharrones.  I have some of each vacuum sealed and waiting for a special occassion.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

Rxmar23

Art, that sounds crazy delicious. Did you share the details on the recipe forum, and will you share here if not? Definitely something I want to try.