My first attempt at dry aged rib-eyes

Started by muebe, August 04, 2012, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

So I was introduced to dry aging bags by another member and thought I would give them a try. It was my first time out so I did not want to ruin an expensive large roast so I started with a 4lb bone-in rib-eye roast. I had to file down the edges of the bones so the bag would not tear(they are thin). And because I have the upright food saver I had to use these special fabric inserts to get a proper seal...

After several minutes of cussing to get the pieces of fabric in place while at the same time sliding the bag into the sealer I finally got it... on the first try ;)

Now into the fridge on a Bradley rack for 30 days...

Wish me luck :o
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OldHickory

Looks great.  Did you order the bags from UMAi?
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

muebe

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

What is umai?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Consooger

Never had a dry aged cut? What is the difference? Is it worth a try? I see them at a Wegman's I shop at all the time and they have dry aged ribeyes all the time, right next to the Waygu cuts as well....NOM NOM NOM!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

muebe

Here is a little pictorial for how to use these bags with the Foodsaver V3800 series(upright models). The video makes it look so easy but it is not. This is how I did it on my first try ;)

First crinkle the end of the bag that you are going to seal with your hand(this is the part that makes it harder to get into the V3800 because it is no longer smooth but you need to do it for a proper vacuum)...

Now take the mouse vac material(sold separately from the bags) and cut a piece in half...

Then insert a piece on each end of the bag where the material is almost touching the opening of the bag and flush against each edge of the bag...

Now lift the top of the food saver up using the two release buttons just like you open it when cleaning the moisture collection tray inside the unit. Then place the end of the bag just inside the unit before it touches the paddle that turns the unit on when you slide the bag all the way in...

Now gently close it on top of the bag. The bag should be just inserted into the unit...

Now using your thumbs on each end grab the fabric and bag. Now slowly slide the bag into the unit like you would a regular bag just more gently...

Once the food saver starts up verify it is pulling vacuum. Then use you hands to help move air out of the bag for a tight bond with the meat. If you do it right the food saver will reach full vacuum, stop, and then seal. I then lifted the unit up again using the release buttons and lifted the bag off the sealer carefully so I did not tear it. Keep in mind that these bags are much thinner material than the regular bags so you need to be gentle when handling them ;)

SiFumar

Definitely following this!  If it works then I'll be trying it forsure!  Thanks for info!

SouthernSmoked

Niiiice!!

I purchased these bags a while back after BLSH did a posting but I don't remember seeing the mouse vac material. I will definitely have to try this.

Thanks Michael for the info. I too will be following this one.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on August 07, 2012, 03:48:08 AM
Niiiice!!

I purchased these bags a while back after BLSH did a posting but I don't remember seeing the mouse vac material. I will definitely have to try this.

Thanks Michael for the info. I too will be following this one.

Mark any of the food saver style "channel" sealers need the mouse vac material. That is why the foodsaver bags are embossed on one side of them. The "snorkel" style sealers do not.

muebe

Hedlyna

Wow, that didn't take long at all, I figured at least a week for discoloration like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kahunas

Just wondering.....isn't it wet aging if it is in a bag or wrapped? I thought dry aging was with the meat exposed to the air at a specific humidity with salt blocks in the room so the outer crust dries, then you cut the dry stuff off when done and you end up with a dry aged steak? I have also seen them wrapped in cheese cloth and on a rack to dry age.
At least that is what they do on all the food channel shows on high end steak restaurants.
Just wondering
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

muebe

Quote from: Kahunas on August 07, 2012, 07:33:26 AM
Just wondering.....isn't it wet aging if it is in a bag or wrapped? I thought dry aging was with the meat exposed to the air at a specific humidity with salt blocks in the room so the outer crust dries, then you cut the dry stuff off when done and you end up with a dry aged steak? I have also seen them wrapped in cheese cloth and on a rack to dry age.
At least that is what they do on all the food channel shows on high end steak restaurants.
Just wondering

Well this is the first time I am doing this. When I get done the outside of the meat will be dry. That part gets cut away exposing the meat. These bags actually allow moisture to escape so it is like air drying but does not get affected by humidity or odors in the fridge being absorbed by the meat.

Kahunas

Quote from: muebe on August 07, 2012, 11:02:24 AM
Quote from: Kahunas on August 07, 2012, 07:33:26 AM
Just wondering

Well this is the first time I am doing this. When I get done the outside of the meat will be dry. That part gets cut away exposing the meat. These bags actually allow moisture to escape so it is like air drying but does not get affected by humidity or odors in the fridge being absorbed by the meat.
No kiddin? That's the damndest thing. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.