My first attempt at dry aged rib-eyes

Started by muebe, August 04, 2012, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

muebe, it is looking good.  Just curious though, is there any noticeable odor in your frig with the bag allowing the moisture of the meat to escape?

muebe

Quote from: KyNola on October 02, 2012, 08:48:08 AM
muebe, it is looking good.  Just curious though, is there any noticeable odor in your frig with the bag allowing the moisture of the meat to escape?

Yes there is. The odor of the meat is faint but there. It is not a foul or bad smell. Smells like the supermarket butcher department ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

squirtthecat

Very cool.

Put some baking soda boxes in there!

muebe

So it has been 21 days...

Decided to check weight...

Looks like it lost 3lbs. Went in at 13lbs and currently is 10lbs. Got 7 more days. Next Thursday will be time to carve at 28 days.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SiFumar

Holy heck I so need to order this!  Thank you for all these postings...it really helps!

mikeradio

Looking great , does the meat really firm up and get a hard skin?

muebe

Quote from: mikeradio on October 13, 2012, 10:37:03 AM
Looking great , does the meat really firm up and get a hard skin?

Yes it gets a hard outer bark but once you remove the bark you get a normal steak with a deep red color, a little more firm, and a separation of the fat marbeling & meat.

muebe

Ok been 28 days time to carve. Went in 13lbs and came out 10lbs...

A top/bottom view while still bagged...

And now out of the bag. Nice mellow beefy smell...

First I cut it in half...

Then into 1 inch thick steaks...

Then trim the outer bark from each steak...

Total weight 7lbs...

All ready to be vac sealed. Going to seal two to a bag and each set will be seasoned differently and frozen for later use. Might save two for this weekend ;)

Ok so let's go over the numbers:

Started with a 14.77lb Boneless Rib-Eye Roast @ $7.59lb for a total of $112.10

After trimming it went into the fridge at 13lbs. It left the fridge at 10lbs. And I ended up with 13 steaks totaling 7lbs.

So $112.10 divided 13 is $8.62 a steak

$112.10 divided by 7 is $16.01 a pound

Keep in mind that 3lbs of loss would have happened regardless of dry aging or not. That first 3lbs was all the fat trimmed before dry aging. Now some of that bark that was trimmed was fat and might have been trimmed under normal conditions. Also there was waste on the ends due to not making a large enough steak for my standards. And finally there are probably others who are much better at trimming than me. I admit I did not exactly take my time and the waste might have been less with someone better skilled. Maybe consider mine the worst case scenario ;)

lilharv

they look awesum. can't wait to hear how they taste

Bear1968

Look Good so far. I want to see them scored up, just off the Grill! I think that the end-price is cheap ... what would you pay to have one of those bad-mamba-jamba's served up to you in Steak House? A bit or two more than 9 bucks a steak ;)
UBC Local 268

OU812

OH     MY    GAWD!!     

Frickin Awesome!!

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikeradio

Great job on the cutting and trimming, the steaks look awesum, cant wait to hear how they taste.

SiFumar

Great job on the trimming and cutting!  They look fantastic!  Seems to me they will be great with just S&P. ;D