A pleasant surprise at the Lumberjack Feud

Started by Wildcat, August 06, 2012, 03:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

I returned home Friday after a two week vacation. One of the places we went to was Pigeon Forge, TN. While there we went to a dinner show called Lumberjack Feud. While there the spectators were asked to stand if they were currently serving in the military or had previously served in the military. There were about 10 of us that stood and all of the show participants went around to each to shake hands and say thank you. This was accompanied by a round of applause and followed by a person singing the Star Spangled Banner. The patriotism was almost overwhelming.

When we came back from Viet Nam I was faced with people demonstrating and was spat at (from about 20 yards away when I departed the plane. What a difference from the hippies of yesterday to the folks of today. This was my first time to experience first hand a large public display of appreciation for my service by the civilian public.

The Lumberjack Feud was not just a show. It was also a true competition between several real lumberjacks. The theme (feuding) required some acting, but the competition was real. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting some good entertainment while in the area. Much better than the "Dixie Stampede" which is also good.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Up In Smoke

Rick,
I am sorry i did not get the chance to get out and meet you and your family.
I am glad that you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

I also would like to say thank you for your service, and belated welcome home sir!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hedlyna

I would like to thank you too Rick (and everyone else who has served this country). My father was also in Vietnam as a Marine, and though he's never really talked much about it, I know the struggles that he went through coming home. I was not even thought of at that time but I'm sorry that you all had to go through that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ka Honu

Quote from: Hedlyna on August 06, 2012, 06:05:28 PM... My father was also in Vietnam ...

I hate it when someone brags how young they are by pointing out how old I am.  It will probably take me more than one adult beverage to get over it.  Guess I better get started - don't know how many happy hours I have left.

hal4uk

Thank you VERY MUCH for your service, Wildcat. 

I have to admit, (due to my screaming mad momma) I evaded the Viet Nam draft.
I was pumped and ready go -- but apparently it's just some kind of "clerical error" when they draft 11 year old boys.
Go figger.

(seriously --- they drafted me when I was ELEVEN)
Maybe that's why I work in IT now.  Lord knows, the systems were "lacking" back then.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

I got a draft notice when I was already in Vietnam.  I sent them a "C-ration postcard" asking for travel money to the induction center and never heard from them again.

Hedlyna

Everybody please disregard my previous post. My intentions were not to offend anyone. Sorry Ka Honu

Ka Honu

Hedlyna - I was just jerking your chain; it was too easy to pass up.

Hedlyna

Oh good, I thought you were really offended. I know how you old people can get. :)

Ka Honu

3rensho

Quote...from Viet Nam I was faced with people demonstrating and was spat at

They spit on me and called me "baby killer".  What you report is a refreshing change indeed.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Wildcat

Thanks guys. I was not soliciting attention, but rather wanted to let you all know about the quality of the dinner show and the patriotism displayed. Highly recommend it.

3rensho - I was called baby killer also.

Funny Ka Honu- I got my draft notice via mail while I was in Nam as well. When I presented it to my Commanding Officer and told him I needed to go back to the US to report for duty, he took the notice and said "let me take care of this for you" and he actually burned it. He said he had always wanted to do that.

Jerry - we will get together eventually.

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

aces-n-eights

Wildcat - thanks for your service.  My wife and i had a somewhat similar experience (we are both Army retirees).  Before a high school football game last year both teams lined up facing each other on the track in front of the bleachers.  All vets were invited to walk between the teams and they shook our hands, thanking us for our service.  A 90 something year old WWII vet tossed the coin to start the game.  Pretty humbling.  Good kids.  Nice of the administration to honor vets this way.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

iceman

Quote from: Hedlyna on August 06, 2012, 08:29:03 PM
Oh good, I thought you were really offended. I know how you old people can get. :)

Don't worry Hedlyna, he's just "cranky" cause I've already had more happy hour beverages than him and I still owe him a bottle of local island rum!  ;D

Ka Honu

On the other hand, I'll catch up shortly and I don't have to wait several weeks between happy hours.