no heat

Started by atmeyer, August 08, 2012, 05:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atmeyer

My bradley isn't producing heat in the smoker it self.  the smoke generator works fine, but i can reach in and touch the heating element.  i've tried moving the heating gauge around a bit.  i've checked the fuse.  should i replace the sensor?  or the gauge?   is this a common problem?  i've had the smoker for just over a year, and have only used it a handful of times.

Habanero Smoker

Hi atmeyer;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

For trouble shooting there is a lot of information at the Bradley FAQ's

The element not working is common, but the cause can vary. First plug the cabinet directly into an outlet, to do this you will need to use a computer power cord, instead of the power cord that came with the smoker. If it works fine, then there may be a loose wire in your generator.

If you have a multimeter, you can test the element to see if that is the problem. You would need to disconnect the element prior to testing. When testing you should get an OHM reading between  27 - 32; if not the element is no good and needs to be replaced. But before disconnecting the element, there is another way to tell if the element may be a burnt out, the pilot light on the face plate will still be on. If it is a power problem, or a circuit board (gauge) problem the light will not work.

If the power light is not working, besides the fuse in the generator, there is an in-line fuse located in the back of the cabinet that connects to the sensor. You can't tell if the in-line fuse is burnt out, so most members replace both at the same time. The circuit board may also be the cause, but it is less likely to be the problem. Unless you have a cracked just about the temperature controller. Take the face plate off and make sure that it is not corroded.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Looks like you're  covered. welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

atmeyer

would there be an easy way to know if the sensor had gone bad?  could i bypass the sensor by connecting the two wires?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: atmeyer on August 09, 2012, 12:25:35 PM
would there be an easy way to know if the sensor had gone bad?  could i bypass the sensor by connecting the two wires?

Yes. I would by pass the sensor and the in-line fuse separately, to see which one may be faulty; if either one of them are.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jonnypwa

Hi guys,
I have the same problem, only done about 20 smokes and now the oven seems to be getting no power, it went down mid smoke and stopped heating.

The generator is fine and working well and the cables seem sound, i have taken all the panels off and checked every connection in the oven but found no visible problems

I have checked the fuse on the generator and it looks brand new as well,

But i do have a crack on just above the temperature dial, (its a Bradley original not a digital)

as i have been looking for answers i came across this post listing this as a problem....
my box came with this crack and i assumed i had done it when i was taking it out the packaging and assumed, possibly wrongly that this would not make a huge difference to the smoker...

Any help much appreciated as i miss my smoker already and it only stopped earlier this week!

TedEbear

Quote from: jonnypwa on March 01, 2013, 10:58:32 AM

Any help much appreciated as i miss my smoker already and it only stopped earlier this week!

Have you already tried some of the trouble shooting suggestions that were mentioned earlier in this thread?  The main one I'd suggest is to get a computer power cord and plug the tower directly into a wall outlet and see if the element gets hot. 

If it doesn't then I'd focus on the element.  Take the wire off one end and read the resistance through the element with a multimeter.  If it reads open then the element is bad.  A working one will show around 27-32 ohms.

jonnypwa

thanks ted

Have tried the above suggestions apart from removing the element as i dont have the equipment to test it, need to try source some and check, tried it directly into the wall with a few cables to see if any did the job but no luck.

I have taken the cables out the back to tighten them up again but all seemed tight enough

BUT in my wisdom i have forgot which cables goes on where, its the connector that the cable would go into on the back of the oven... I have taken all the clips off, does anyone have any idea where i would find a picture of what way it should be?

I was too busy trying to get them all off without losing any of the screws or washers that i forgot to have an extra glace, trying to do all after a 14 hour shift i should probable have waiting till tomorrow!

thanks

paulsnapp

Take a look at the cable that came from Bradley to connect the SG to the tower.  If you look close straight on you will see an "L" a "N" and a either a ground symbol or a "G".  The red wires inside the smoker will attach to the back of the power plug on the side closest to the SG and will mate with the cable location marked "L".  The white wires inside the smoker will attach to the back of the power plug on the side away from the SG and will mate with the cable location marked "N".  The green wires will attach to the top of the plug in the back of the smoker and this is ground.  It will match the cable location with the ground symbol or marked "G".  Not the best photo but here is a photo of the back off my smoker and you can see the red, white, and green wires coming from the power plug:

Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

beefmann

be sure all of your connections are snug