Challenge with my smoker?

Started by pokermeister, August 16, 2012, 01:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokermeister

First of all, I am a lurker, and have read literally hundreds of posts on this site. Special thanks to Habs, ten point, and all the other members for their great input. I received my smoker at the end of June and have used it 13 times already, with the same challenge on each smoke. I have a fairly large buildup of hard material on the spot before the puck burner. It seems like the puck is not advancing fully onto the burner plate, and leaves a residue for about 1/4 inch wide strip before the plate. On a long smoke, this buildup is a definite ridge. Is this normal, does the puck advance need to be adjusted, etc? Pics to follow of my smokes, and yes, I do have 2 unicorns grazing in my backyard. Also- my one tip that can help someone- if you soak your drip pan for a while, then use a magic eraser on the pan, it comes very clean with almost no effort.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Habanero Smoker

Hi pokermeister,

Welcome to the forum.

I have the same problem, but mine is not as severe as yours. I will get residue build up in that area and may have to scrape it off every 3 - 8 smokes; it all depends on the length of smoke times. I've never had it build up as fast yours has; during one smoke. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment. I will be cleaning my generator within the next week, and will take a look.

Are you just using one type of bisquette flavor, or do all bisquettes you have used produce the same amount of residue?

Thanks for the cleaning tip.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Just a thought in the form of a question, when you smoke whatever it is you are cooking, are you using an excessive number of pucks?  If so, that could explain the buildup after every smoke sesion.

MidKnightRider

Also do you keep the vent wide open when smoking, do you use bubba pucks.

Bubba Pucks, Bradley Smoker Woodsaver Bisquettes, are a must have if you are a Bradley Smoker owner. These are the original Bubba Pucks so don't be fooled by imitations. The Bubba Pucks are custom made for Bradley Smokers and will pay for themselves in the money you will save on wood bisquettes.

If you are a Bradley Smoker owner you know that when you are done smoking you always have at least two wasted bisquettes left on your burner. The Bubba Pucks prevent this from happening. No more wasted bisquettes.

Simply load your smoke generator with the number of bisquettes you intend to use. Then add your Bubba Pucks and smoke as usual. The Bubba Pucks will push the last wood bisquettes into your water bowl and eliminate any wasted bisquettes.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

pokermeister

I use Bubbba pucks (thanks to the forum), usually smoke 2-3 hours- about half the time the meat is in the smoker. On pork shoulders (the ridge) was a 4 hour smoke each time to IT of 190 (just fell apart- excellent). Vent is wide open, but not stuck in that position yet  ;) . Always leave it wide open. Thanks for the help!  Donny

pokermeister

I have used apple, hickory, and maple with same result each time. Am trying cherry today- smoking salmon and chicken jerky.

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. I was going to say it might be the pucs you're using but I see that you've used different ones. As stated above, I also use bubba or pic savers to move the last one off so that is doesn't sit there burning excessively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

MrSlick

I've had the new original smoker since February this year and I see the same problem described.  After a 2-3 hour smoke there will be a residue ridge about 1/8th to ΒΌ of an inch tall.  As noted my pucks don't advance all the way to the center of the hot plate and the ridge is forms right where the trailing edge of the puck stops.  I use a wire brush to clean the ridge off after every smoke.  I'm using Bubba Pucks also.  So far I haven't seen any issues with pucks advancing and all of the pucks in the bowl are completely black. 

Wishy

I have not noticed any build up in mine, but havnt looked. Now in reading this post i will have to check it out. The only problem i have with my smoker is if I load it with a lot of meat when i am up to temp, the temperature drops considerably.
Wishy

GusRobin

Quote from: Wishy on August 17, 2012, 09:58:02 AM
I have not noticed any build up in mine, but havnt looked. Now in reading this post i will have to check it out. The only problem i have with my smoker is if I load it with a lot of meat when i am up to temp, the temperature drops considerably.
where are you taking the temp?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wishy

Not sure where my probe is in the smoker, never looked
Wishy

pokermeister

Temp will drop whenever you open the door. Some remedies- have meat at room temp before placing in smoker, use hot to boiling water in the drip pan, foil wrap a brick and place in the bottom of the smoker before smoking as a heat sink to help retain heat. If you are looking, you're not cooking!

KyNola

The temp is also going to drop when you load it up with a bunch of cold meat.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Wishy on August 17, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
Not sure where my probe is in the smoker, never looked
Try a couple of foul covered bricks in the bottom of the smoker to act as a heat sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

if the temp is reading 230 empty and you put in a load of meat the temp dropping because the meat is absorbing the heat. If the thermometer is not below the lowest rack that has meat, then you may get a lower reading since the meat is blocking the probe. it would read higher at the bottom of the meat rack.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.