Butt what do ya need.

Started by icerat4, March 29, 2006, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Ok i did see the recipes on olds sights and did a search here.What kind of cut do i tell my butcher i want if i want to do this pulled pork.Boston butt shoulder cut etc in the bone.Which one is the right one to order.Second what is the ideal intern temps of this when done.I see lots of different times here.Can someone here give me a step by step 100% way of doing this.I know this has been brought up before but i cant seem to find it in the search engine here from start to finish.Thanks in advance this is my next project. Chickens ribs shrimp MEATLOAF beans all under the belt now this.[:D]

BigSmoker

I like to use a bone in Boston butt.  They are easily found at most grocery stores.  Preheat smoker to 275f. While it is heating up rub the BB all over with cheap yellow mustard.  Apply your favorite rub over the mustard.  I use lots cause I like lots of bark[;)].  Once the smoker is heated up put the BB on the next to top shelf and quickly close the door.  Start 4-6 hours of smoke.  Hickory works fine as does pecan and apple or use them all[:D].  The temp will go down to probably 225 or so when you put the BB in.  This is your target temp so adjust your slider over the next hour or so to keep it at 225f.  Cook until 195-200f internal.  FTC if you want or let it cool enough to handle and pull away[:)].  Time will depend on weight but normally you are looking at 16-24 hours of total cook time.  After the smoke period is done chunk the old stuff and add fresh hot water.  Pretty easy and hard to mess up.  HTH

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

So only 4-6 hours of smoke then shut that down and continue to cook only.At 195 internal temps pull it out and ftc it and thats it.This mustard you use is just plain old mustard no dijon any special brand and whats the best over the counter rub i have the dizzy dust and the swamp venom are these good choises.

BigSmoker

You can use as much smoke as you like but I have never used more than 6 hours worth as the smoke flavor would be pretty heavy after that.  Once all the pucks are burnt leave the smoke generator on though don't turn it off.  The mustard will add no flavor to the meat what so ever.  It just holds the rub on real well.  I really like the Swamp Venom on BB myself but the Dizzy Dust is good too.

Jeff

dick621

Should a guy take the last of the last puck off the burner instead of letting it burn completely?  Does'nt Bradley maintain burning puck to ashes imparts bad things to the meat?  Inquiring mind wants to know.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dick621</i>
<br />Should a guy take the last of the last puck off the burner instead of letting it burn completely?  Does'nt Bradley maintain burning puck to ashes imparts bad things to the meat?  Inquiring mind wants to know.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have never really noticed any off flavor BUT I bought some Bubba Pucks a good while back so I don't have that problem anymore.  Get yourself some from //www.ChezBubba.com.

Jeff

icerat4

Isnt that a little off topic.[:(!]I dont think at the end of 3-4-5- hours of perfect smoke the last 10-15 minutes are going to effect the out come of the food.Next question and back on topic Please.Thanks[:D]

JJC

Hi Icerat,

I think it's on topic, in our loose sort of way [:D]!  I tend to use lower temps (less than 210F) and slightly longer cook times, but I definitely concur with Jeff's advice about rubs!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

icerat4

I wasnt talking about jeff its the dick i was talking about.Now thats Funny.

IKnowWood

I have not done Pork shoulder (Butt or Boston Butt) much.  But the last one came out perfect.  I will do another soon as I am almost out of frozen packs (2 left).  

I put rub mix on overnight (I used the recipe from S&S for Marvelous Pulled Pork).  Pre-heated for 1 hour, let it go up to 300+ during the time.  last 10 minutes of pre-heat, I started smoke, so smoke was active from the time I put the pork in.  The pork pre-heated for 1.5 hours.  I did not do the Mustard thing (did not read the mustard thing before) but I see that it can help increase Bark, i love the bark.

I smoked for 6 hours Apple. ended up with buba pucks (they sat there for 13 hours, I did not want a 13 hour ash mess with carbon release to the meat, that's a LONG time).  Total cook time was 6 hours smoke + 13 hours cook.

Now temps, I did not get over 210 degrees cab.   and pulled at 190 internal and FTC for 3 hours before puill.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

Seems alot of S&S recipes here.I just bought the book along with a few others and i do go over to olds sight.So 8-10 lbs boston shoulder in bone 5-6 hours smoke at 200-210 temps.Wait til internal temps hit 190ish and then ftc it .Do i spray anything on it before i do the ftc deal[?] or just leave it.Thanks guys for the help.

Cold Smoke

Just leave it. My $0.02.

Enjoy!

Cold Smoke

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dick621</i>
<br />Should a guy take the last of the last puck off the burner instead of letting it burn completely?  Does'nt Bradley maintain burning puck to ashes imparts bad things to the meat?  Inquiring mind wants to know.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I use bubba pucks. I use two and place them on top of the pucks I'm using for smoking. Next I place one wood puck on top of them.

Next these are couple of butts I did using my T-Shirt Method. I like butts for slicing for sandwiches. Thus I cook them from 170-180 F max. <b>I do not FTC them.</b> Allow them to cool to room temp. wrap in plastic and then place in frig. for a few days so the smoke flavoring has a chance to "mellow" and "sweeten" through out the meat.

There is Q and then there is good smoked meats. IMO all smoked meats need some aging for the flavors to mell. Nothing wrong with Q... but don't confuse it with smoke meat.  Pulled Pork IMO is Q.

My family is not into a lot of spices, and at times I want a more mellow smoke flavoring. Thus I came up with this method.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

begolf25

I would go with the Bubba Pucks or remove the last puck if your gonna leave the smoke generator on.  But as stated in another thread if your using the Bubba Pucks be sure to let them cool down before you touch them.  They get VERY hot.

Dick in Emmett, Idaho
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

iceman

The sandwich meat sounds good Olds. Do you think after I slice it up it would keep in vacuum sealed pouches in the freezer for lunches later on?