Butt what do ya need.

Started by icerat4, March 29, 2006, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />The sandwich meat sounds good Olds. Do you think after I slice it up it would keep in vacuum sealed pouches in the freezer for lunches later on?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sure without a doubt. I've started now at times boning out the butt before I smoke them. Vacuum pack/ freeze the bones and use them when you need to start a "stock pot" up. I do this with all of the bones I bone-out. We like a chicken sandwich I make out of chicken legs and  thighs. I do the same with them as well. There is no problem mixing beef, pork, or chicken bones together for a basic stock to work with.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Quoteisnt that a little off topic.[:(!]I dont think at the end of 3-4-5- hours of perfect smoke the last 10-15 minutes are going to effect the out come of the food.Next question and back on topic Please.Thanks
Rat of Ice....

Man, don't worry about the small stuff.  Been here for a long time and I don't think I have seem much of these threads stay on subject, hardly ever.  Please don't look at any of my threads, it will for sure frustrate you.  It's one the beauties of this forum, one thing leads to the next and some how it helps somebody or a bunch of somebodies.  We are all here to help and I don't think I have ever remember a time  when folks don't get their questions answered in several different flavors.

Koom-By-Ya.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

icerat4

Got it.It Just takes a rookie time.I completly understand.[;)]

icerat4

Hey guys can i just smoke this but for 5-6 hours hot smoke then just put it in my oven to finish it over night.and if i do that do i fiol it up in the over or just leave it free standing with no wrap.

BigSmoker

Quote from: icerat4 on April 03, 2006, 11:08:32 AM
Hey guys can i just smoke this but for 5-6 hours hot smoke then just put it in my oven to finish it over night.and if i do that do i fiol it up in the over or just leave it free standing with no wrap.

Did just that this weekend.  Smoke a BB for 4 hrs then continued to cook until bed time.  Took it out of the Bradley wrapped in foil and in the fridge for overnight.  Next morning I put it still wrapped in foil and on a pan in the oven at 225 until internal temp reached 200f.  I let it cool for a bit then pulled it all apart and made pulled pork pizza with a mustard based sauce.  Toppings were the pork, jalapenos, mozeralla & Montery jack cheese :P :P :P ;D 8).
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

Why did ya put it in the fridge.Why not just keep it in the oven over night at 190 temps to reach the internal temps of 195 or so.I would like to finish it off in the oven i just feel safer that way so when i take it out of the bradley after 5-6 hours of smoke just put it into the oven with no foil or should i use foil.

BigSmoker

No real reason not to keep it in the oven just did it that way ;D

icerat4

Well i have an 8 pounder.which side should be up the fat side or the side with the meat.Im gussing the fatty side .So 8 lbs is going to take how long to cook 12-15 hours total .I know to wait til the internal temps get to 190-195 but im just wondering.I am going to wake at 330 in the am and start it when should i except it to be done.5pm maybe.Anyone

BigSmoker

Sounds like a good plan

I go fat side up ;).

icerat4

Ok guys the the results are in and the pulled pork ws great.Man that was a long time and i did the ftc deal and then i vacuum the rest with by the way my new food saver .And then put it into my brand new Freezer.Pretty soon ill be up to the icemans standards Lol. ;D FULL SERVICE SUPPLIER LOL. ;)

humpa

Hello to my fellow smokers!! I finally made it back! ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: humpa on April 09, 2006, 04:41:22 AM
Hello to my fellow smokers!! I finally made it back! ;D
Welcome back :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Hi ya humpa. Thought you took a wrong turn somewhere. Welcome back.

BostonBBQer

So, you guys say a Boston Butt takes six hours of smoke PLUS 13 hours just cooking in the BS without smoke to reach 180? Damn, that's a long time. I was figuring 13 total.

About the fat side up question, when I did BB in my old water smoker, I trimmed off as much external fat as I possibly could. That way, I got more edible bark, aka, Mr. Brown. There's more than enough fat inside the meat that you don't need to worry about basting.

BigSmoker

Quote from: BostonBBQer on May 22, 2006, 01:47:20 PM
So, you guys say a Boston Butt takes six hours of smoke PLUS 13 hours just cooking in the BS without smoke to reach 180? Damn, that's a long time. I was figuring 13 total.

About the fat side up question, when I did BB in my old water smoker, I trimmed off as much external fat as I possibly could. That way, I got more edible bark, aka, Mr. Brown. There's more than enough fat inside the meat that you don't need to worry about basting.

Depends on your temp and how big it is and this and that.  Smoke my last 6.75 lber this weekend.  14hrs in the smoker including 2 hours of mesquite(all I got at the moment).  Was just right for pulling :P.  I did not trim any fat but you could do that to gain extra bark and you could also cut a large BB into several pieces to gain even more rub surface area and cut down on cooking time.  Injecting the BB will also cut down on cooking time.  Never had to baste anything I've cooked in the Bradley.