Sockeye

Started by sdkidaho, August 22, 2012, 09:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdkidaho

Got a couple of these in Alaska.

I have the new smoker, unused.  Any recommendations for breaking it in with these salmon?

pmmpete

A good way to get started would be to try the instructions and recipe at the beginning of this "Fish" subforum, which is "Bradley Smoked Wild Salmon," by Kummok. 

Kahunas

Beautiful. When you start with fish like that, it doesn't matter what you do, it will turn out great. I think I would go simple and use fresh dill and lemon slices on it and smoke it with apple. Let the fish shine.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Keymaster

Definately use kummocks recipe and make sure you get a good pelicle before going in the smoker and dont get to hot or you'll  get fish bugers or fat out. Nice fish pictures!!

aces-n-eights

Nice looking fish!  By the looks of the tail on the red one, it had a close encounter with a seal or something.  We catch them on fly tackle - good fun!  Where were you fishing?

Another vote for Kummok's method...
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

sdkidaho

Thanks for the replies!  Found his thread:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.msg935#msg935

We were about 50 miles north of Anchorage.  We flew into Bulchitna Lake and fished off of Lake Creek nearby.  It was a great time - my first time to Alaska and I got to take my Dad (his first time too).  Great memories were made.  :)