Bourbon Bacon Marmalade

Started by ACW3, August 24, 2012, 07:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACW3

My wife and I ate at a new restaurant in town the other evening.  They had something on the menu that deserves mentioning.  It is called Bourbon Bacon Marmalade.  Both my wife and I loved the flavor.  I found a recipe online and decided that I needed to make some for home use.  Here is the web site. 

http://cocktails.about.com/od/bourbonwhiskey/r/bourbon_marmalade.htm

With two pounds of bacon and two onions, plus all the other ingredients, I ended up with about 2.5 pints of marmalade.   Not a lot, but really good!!   

Most of the players.

Here is the two pounds of chopped up bacon cooking and getting crisp.  I drained as much of the bacon fat off as possible and then used it to cook the chopped onions and garlic.  They were strained again before putting everyone into the pot to simmer.

All the cooked bacon, onions, and garlic are in the liquid to simmer.

We're making progress.  The mixture is reducing nicely.  This is the part that is time consuming.  I kept checking on the pot while it was simmering.  The whole house smelled like bacon.

We finally have it to the right consistency.  Time to cool down.  After it cools, I will put it in the food processor for a quick pulse or two and then package for future use.

I put some in a storage container for later use, as well as several "sample containers" for sharing.

It was a somewhat lengthy process, but definitely worth it.  The intensity of the flavors will add to any dish.  My friend Tim is coming over tomorrow morning for breakfast and he is bringing some fresh bagels.  I have the schmear and the marmalade.  It should be a tasty breakfast.  I had some on a homemade burger tonight for dinner.  WOW!!!  I'll post those pictures later.

Art

MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

SiFumar

That sounds awesome. Another forum member, 10.5 made something very similar called Bacon Jam...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20362.msg248572#msg248572  I'll have to compare.  He did in crock pot so that helps with the constant tending of it.

mikecorn.1

Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

Art Fair warning, if it is anything like the Bacon Jam I made. It just really won't work on toast or a bagel by its self. But when you spread it on a sandwich or on a burger, it will BLOW your mind it will be so good. But you know that already. I would suggest spreading it on the bagel then put a small fried egg in it
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sage03

NePaSmoKer

Oh my

I gotta try this

TY Art looks good

ACW3

Tim T. and I had some on a bagel with just a light layer of cream cheese.  Oh my!!!  It would be good on a rusty '57 Chevy bumper!!

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS