Temp controls - digital vs bs611

Started by Maticulus, August 27, 2012, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maticulus

I've been trying to decide between the 4 rack digital vs the new bs611. For starters, the interior and rack space and the 500 w heating element seem to be the same for both but the sales description says the max temp on the first original is 320 degrees while the bs611 is only 250 and the digital is 280. That doesn't add up for me. BUT, I don't really think it matters since the reports I've read in this forum suggest that neither actually get over 220 when loaded - unless you add a second element or go to a 900 watt element (I'm no electrician so that is out for me). Can someone comment on this issue?

A second question (dumb one) - I know the digital does cold smoke so doesn't the bs611, too?

I can get the digital for about $100 more - is it worth it?

Thanks. 

pokermeister

I have had a new BS611 (nobs-new original bradley smoker) for about 2 months, and have used it 15 times already. My experience is that it will reach 275 after a while- meat needs to be in smoker for at least 2 hours, and very hot water in drip bowl, door not opened for at least an hour. If you are cooking above 225 it's probably too hot. Some more experienced members will comment shortly. I personally don't  think you need the digital- save the money and buy a Maverick remote thermometer instead. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Maticulus

Thank you. I actually had the OBS and took it back because of the heat control. I'm glad to know that the new one will heat up to that temp although I agree that it is too hot - but 220 is a little low if that is the max. Thanks for setting me straight on this issue. Maybe the digital isn't necessary.

Appreciate your comments.

Maticulus

I decided on the new Bradley BS611 instead of going with a digital version and couldn't be happier. The new one, which I found online through Ebay from Beach Audio, was only $270 shipped (fast!!) and answered the concerns I had with the first version of the OBS by improving the heat control (now on the smoke generator box) and I think the new stainless steel lining seemed to help retain the heat better or the heating element just worked better. It worked like a charm and I was easily able to control the temp and I was pleasantly surprised. I had it loaded with chicken and ribs, and it easily cooked at 225 (or more) with room to move it up if needed.

Good job Bradley on the new version of the Original Bradley Smoker!

tskeeter

Maticulus, enjoy the new smoker.

But, if you do think more about a heating element upgrade, don't let limited electrical knowledge stand in you way.  I got mine done in less than two hours using the detailed and informative instructions available through links in other threads.  I figure that if an accountant can do the mods, anyone who knows which end of the screwdriver to hang on to ought to be able to handle the job.